Hi from Sunny South Africa

Marula

Hey fellow roach-addicts :)

I'm a keeper of roaches and tarantulas, living in Johannesburg, but German by origin.

I've always been a bug person and just love roaches.

I'm keeping hissers (Gromphadorrina portentosa), lobsters (Nauphoeta cinerarea), pallid roaches (Phoetalia pallida), dubias (Blaptica dubia), Forest roaches (Blatta lateralis) and a single Madeira roach (Rhypharobea maderae), and some local wild-caught ones, (Red-heads) Oxyhaloa sp., and two more that I haven't got a clue what they are, but breeding well.

I keep the exotics as feeders for the tarantulas, but also because I like them. I can't bring myself to feeding off the adult hissers, they are so lovely!

Earlier this year I caught a tree-dwelling roach of maybe 2 cm in the bush that hardly touched any food I offered her, except some fish flakes. She surprised me with some babies which died off quickly, after that she escaped. If I manage to find back the tree on my return to that spot, I'll try to find some more and take some of the tree foliage along to identify and maybe grow some in the garden. It looked very interesting, like nothing I've seen before!

See ya around ;)

Hi Marula! South Africa must be great for bugs!

A lot of small tree-dwellers eat dead insects, fungi, or rotting leaves or wood; those might be worth a try next time.

Hello and welcome!

I spent about four months in the RSA. Loved it there. Fantastic, beautiful country. I'd love to see pics of your "tree" roaches, if you can find them again.

Hi Marula! South Africa must be great for bugs!

A lot of small tree-dwellers eat dead insects, fungi, or rotting leaves or wood; those might be worth a try next time.

This one was eating the fresh leaves of the small tree it's been found on. But unfortunately these dried out. She still munched on them, but I think the humidity was probably too low...

In two weeks time i'm going there again and will make sure I'll check the tree again - - if i can find it back. It would already help if i can identify the tree first :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard! With all the neat roaches in Africa it's interesting you've got common hobby species so far. Good luck finding some more on that tree!

Thanks! I'll upload pics of my other two roach species soon. Pity my camera wasn't ready for the mommy roach that got away... I'll ty a pic of one of the deceased new-born nymphs if the the camera yields a decent one. They already looked quite different!

Hello and welcome!

I spent about four months in the RSA. Loved it there. Fantastic, beautiful country. I'd love to see pics of your "tree" roaches, if you can find them again.

Thanks, Roachman! I so agree, South Africa is marvellous, and a true adventure every day! :lol: :lol: