Are these stunners in cultre?

dEsSiCaTa_UK

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the -zosteria species made it into UK culture sometime soon.

There are a number of extremely colorful species endemic to Australia that are not in culture anywhere in the world- unfortunately. There are some worth dreaming about, and several are Polyzostera.

Do you know if this is because of their difficulty to keep, rarity, or just that nobody's tried? Australian breeders did get Macropanesthia going, I wonder why not these guys.

Do you know if this is because of their difficulty to keep, rarity, or just that nobody's tried? Australian breeders did get Macropanesthia going, I wonder why not these guys.

Probably the difficulty of exporting from Australia. They have gajillions of bans/laws on exporting any animals.

If some high-up professor in Japan, however, wanted a pair or two of M. rhinoceros, he/she could probably pull enough strings to get them; subsequently these would breed and be distributed to Germany, then finally, to the US. And that's how those got here. :P

Australian breeders did get Macropanesthia going, I wonder why not these guys.

I don't think that's a true statement, I think the ones in Australia are 'farmed' which is code for WC. The slowness of the species, lack of adaptation to crowding and captivity, and the fact they originally only sold them as adult pairs and the volume available make it dubious.

The pet cockroach hobby is still small enough that it's hard to keep the species we currently have going, we have lost some neat ones like Elliptorhina laevigata just because there weren't many people keeping them.

The pet cockroach hobby is still small enough that it's hard to keep the species we currently have going, we have lost some neat ones like Elliptorhina laevigata just because there weren't many people keeping them.

Don't forget about Blaberus parabolicus. :(

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately Roachman has been out of the hobby for a while now... I heard a rumor a little while ago that he was coming back but I've yet to hear anything more. ):

In my opinion we have a good enough amount of roaches in the hobby right now, some of them are just... Currently breeding. :P

Unfortunately Roachman has been out of the hobby for a while now... I heard a rumor a little while ago that he was coming back but I've yet to hear anything more. ):

In my opinion we have a good enough amount of roaches in the hobby right now, some of them are just... Currently breeding. :P

By that do you mean yours Kyle? Lol. :)

I do agree that we have lots of great roaches in the hobby...but man, some of the ones we don't have are killers.

• 3 years later...