New to roaches as pets..

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section!

I've done a search on the forum (I've also 'Google'd my little brains out) and I'm coming up short on care for Therea grandjeani.

I've been wanting some of these guys for a good year now, and have held off since I couldn't find much information on them. I like to read as much info as I can find, and I don't buy a critter that I'm not confident I can care for (ok, except this ONCE)...I guess I'm feeling a little ill-equipped since I haven't read up on them too much.

Long story, short.. I came across a pretty decent deal on another forum and 10 of the little buggers and being shipped out to me today.

So now I've come to the experts to soak up all the knowledge you guys are willing to share.

I know they are from Africa, like it damp but also give them dry spells, feeding I'm still a little iffy on?? Temps? Best substrate to use? Would using only oak leaves suffice? How can you tell the males from the females?

Oh! And life expectancy?? The ones that I'm getting were sold as 'sub-adults'.

ANYTHING you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!

Fawn

... I believe Therea sp. come from India.

Damp is no way to keep these guys. Too much moisture and they'll die.

They need to be kept dry. Misting once a week max. They will eat anything; fruits and dog food are fine.

A deep substrate is necessary to keep them happy. Vermiculite and coconut fiber with some hardwood leaves (oak is fine) that are dead and dry is perfect. 2"-3" is good.

Females are larger than males. Males have hairier antennae.

The adults live for 3-6 months. Nymphs can take 2-3 years to reach adulthood.

Wow. Don't I feel like a dope?? I read that it was India, but for whatever reason Africa is what came to mind. :huh:

Thank you so, so much for the reply! I'm thankful that I have a little more to go on now!!

I've already got a bucket full of vermiculite/coconut fiber mix that I use for my tarantulas, so at least I'm good to go there. :rolleyes:

Any idea what kind of temps? I keep my bedroom warmer than the rest of the house, though it still rarely gets over 75 degrees.

How difficult are they to breed?

Again, I thank you!

Thank you for the correction.

Really, I know nothing about roaches compared to you guys.. I came here to learn, so keep it coming. :)

To prove that point, I was surprised when I opened the container to find that they didn't look like the pictures I had seen. Evidently I've only seen pictures of adult coloration. :rolleyes:

The ones that I received today range between .5 and 3/4 of an inch..at about what size can I expect them to molt into adult colors?.. How big are they as adults?

Thank you for the correction.

Really, I know nothing about roaches compared to you guys.. I came here to learn, so keep it coming. :)

To prove that point, I was surprised when I opened the container to find that they didn't look like the pictures I had seen. Evidently I've only seen pictures of adult coloration. :rolleyes:

The ones that I received today range between .5 and 3/4 of an inch..at about what size can I expect them to molt into adult colors?.. How big are they as adults?

Those are just a few months from maturity. Males will molt out a little over 3/4 inch, females at +/- 1". I don't have any males over 1.25" currently, but the females can fill up pretty big with eggs and maybe hit 1.7"