My discoids

likebugs

I recently bought a few of what I assume are discoids, from the local exotics store. The first 4 that I bought included an adult female who had a small bit of the underneath wing that sticks out on her left. When the female nymph molted to adult in my care, her wings are like that on both sides. The males seem to molt out fine for some reason. Is there something that I can do to help my future adults' wings look better? I want to provide the best care for my new favorite pets. :D I currently have 5 adults and 4 nymphs. I keep them in a 2 1/2 gallon plastic aquarium with some egg flat pieces and a few toilet paper rolls that are standing up with a roach sized hole in them so they can enter them with ease. I feed them a variety of fruits, veggies, cereal, dog and fish food, daily.

The cause may be genetic, environmental, or acquired. If you provide a vertical, broader area for them to molt from you should see a difference.

It's not really a big deal either; they will be able to go about their regular activities just fine like that. If it gets really annoying to you, you can always use a pair of scissors and snip it off. It's hardened (like your finger nail) and won't hurt the roach, but it won't grow back.

:o I guess it is not that bad. I have snipped the wings off of one of my mismolted mantids before, but her wings were very cumbersome for her when she was trying to walk. One of them was under her leg before I clipped it off. I am glad that this doesn't even come close to that situation. :)

Tomorrow, I will glue the screen on the roaches' new home,(a larger sterilite container). I hope that the extra room will help them molt better, and some babies would be nice too. :lol:

I finished modifying the new container and the roaches are exploring in there. I don't know how they feel about it, but I like having them in a bigger container. It is neater, and easier to check on the roaches, without pulling everything out of there. :D

• 1 month later...