Periplaneta question

vfox

I just got a nice sized order of Periplaneta americana in today and I noticed a few of them are quite dark. Does anyone know a better way that color variation to tell the difference between Periplaneta americana, fuliginosa, and brunnea? It would be great if a few P. brunnea or fuliginosa snuck their way into this shipment because they are much harder to find. Any help would be appreciated but either way, yay new roaches! :)

The group:

a9wytg.jpg

A comparison of the two side by side, one certainly P.americana, the other...??? (sorry for this poor shot, the plastic wasn't clear)

143pa8m.jpg

Another shot of one of the oddballs:

zn39g3.jpg

Last one:

71sodj.jpg

Wow! Lucky you! I think you have fuliginosa, americana, AND brunnea in there! :D

**EDIT- Nevermind, I'm thinking just americana and brunnea now.

If they turn out to be brunnea and breed I will send a few your way Kyle. I need to separate them tonight for a better analysis but right now I need to get ready for work. I will take better shots hopefully by chilling them in the fridge, fingers crossed I have both in there! :)

The ootheca is a different shape from americana isn't it?

It seems I have a good mix of both in there, I'll need to separate them tomorrow. Expect babies soon! :)

Good deal! :D

The ootheca is a different shape from americana isn't it?

It seems I have a good mix of both in there, I'll need to separate them tomorrow. Expect babies soon! :)

I'm not 100% sure on that one. The nymphs are different; they have white and dark yellow markings instead of the solid rust orange/ red of the americana.

Here we go.... :lol:

They are already forming ooths lol.

As for being brunnea I'm not sure, the cerci of some look brunnea but not all the dark ones have thicker cerci. I'll hopefully have an answer soon though, if anyone knows better identification tools moreso than cerci shape and general pronotum coloration please let me know.

They are already forming ooths lol.

As for being brunnea I'm not sure, the cerci of some look brunnea but not all the dark ones have thicker cerci. I'll hopefully have an answer soon though, if anyone knows better identification tools moreso than cerci shape and general pronotum coloration please let me know.

And these are actually pest species, what fun :D Soon you'll be regretting your "vfox magic" (not really--- we all just wish we had it) :P

And these are actually pest species, what fun :D Soon you'll be regretting your "vfox magic" (not really--- we all just wish we had it) :P

Periplaneta is less of a pest genus, more of a nuisance. At least around here.

I don't think there's a single report of P. brunnea infesting or even getting anywhere near someone's home. Probably because they're so difficult to differentiate from P. americana. :P

I don't think there's a single report of P. brunnea infesting or even getting anywhere near someone's home. Probably because they're so difficult to differentiate from P. americana. :P

Not yet anyways :P

I want to get all the Periplaneta species because of that. They are not like the German roaches that can infest anywhere, they are prone to damp and somewhat warmer areas. At worst they infest peoples basements outside of the city. In the city they hangout in the sewers and occasionally wander into homes looking for more room or food/water. They are active and fast while being big enough to be a decent show species honestly. I find American and Australian to be very pretty roaches even with their bad rep.

Btw Zephyr, has anyone actually shown interest in buying any Germans from your add yet? Just curious, even I am hesitant to want those lol.

Ya ya, lol. Once spring rolls around your welcome to some of the magic lol. My wife will murder me if I don't get rid of SOME of the babies from this winter lol.

Ya ya, lol. Once spring rolls around your welcome to some of the magic lol. My wife will murder me if I don't get rid of SOME of the babies from this winter lol.

You're in trouble lol, if your wife thinks it's bad now wait till summer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll take that magic, please. :D:P

You crack me up vfox.

You're in trouble lol, if your wife thinks it's bad now wait till summer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll take that magic, please. :D:P

You crack me up vfox.

If breeding goes along with a natural cycle of spring and summer then my colonies are just in a lul right now, haha.

I finally saw my firefly mimics mating today so I know they are finally getting underway as well. They are so tiny, almost 3/4 the size of Panchlora nivea, which is already tiny. I can't wait to see how small their nymphs are, lol.

If breeding goes along with a natural cycle of spring and summer then my colonies are just in a lul right now, haha.

I finally saw my firefly mimics mating today so I know they are finally getting underway as well. They are so tiny, almost 3/4 the size of Panchlora nivea, which is already tiny. I can't wait to see how small their nymphs are, lol.

A lul? lol

Firefly mimics are awesome!! Their babies must be, too (if you can see them :P )

@vfox: You finally got what you wanted. :lol:

Yep, they are very fun to watch too; their antennae are as long as their body so when I peer into the bin all I see is 20 pairs waving about and no roaches lol.