Citrus love !

Briene

I've had my roaches on a basic set up for quite some time. Then I discovered this site....and a billion other roach enthusiasts ! I've always given fresh fruit and veggies but I'd never tried citrus and IDK why. E.javanica,G.portentosa,& B.dubia....devoured it! I'd never seen them consume something so quickly. I gave them decent sized slices of grape fruit.

They love citrus because it's high in carbohydrates (sugars) and moisture. There are not many fruits that serve a cockroach better than citrus fruits. However the myth about population explosions after they started feeding oranges is bunk in my opinion. I feel it's more related to the moisture than the fruit itself. Welcome to the site btw, this is THE place for cockroach enthusiasts. :)

• 2 years later...

My Madagascar hissers seem to love oranges as well but is it harmful for them to come into contact with the orange oil in the peel? Either from eating the rind or contaminated while peeling it? I give them a slice or two every week but I haven't noticed any dieing/sick yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil#Biological_Pest_Control

• 3 months later...
My Madagascar hissers seem to love oranges as well but is it harmful for them to come into contact with the orange oil in the peel? Either from eating the rind or contaminated while peeling it? I give them a slice or two every week but I haven't noticed any dieing/sick yet.

http://en.wikipedia....al_Pest_Control

That is a highly concentrated oil, cold pressed then distilled with alot of other agents added. read the 1st paragraph of it. The natural juices that come out are probably good for them. When you smash 100 oranges into a paste then distill all the juice you would probably have some potent stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mandarin tree in my backyard that is always dropping ripe fruits. I love placing tons of oranges in my tanks and watching roaches that are normally shy and bolt the second they see you come running out with their antennae waving wildly!