Domino roach nymphs

Alfacuria

Hello I had just recently gotten four domino roaches from peter clausen and i would just like to know what to feed them? i mean i know what they eat its just would they eat it? the enclosure i put them in was bigger than a thought for them and they burrowed into the ground so i cant even see them and im not sure if they stay in the dirt and feed some how. Please help.

I feed all my bugs the same things and all of them have been fine except for the 2 roaches that died but all the rest are fine including my question mark roach. Also most of my bugs are nymphs that always burrow and i have never seen them come out and they are pretty healthy so i think they will be good.

You will rarely ever see the nymphs out unless it's the middle of the night. I only ever see the adults running around willy-nilly. :lol:

I've been feeding mine the same as the others - a mix of fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, pear) and a dry dog food mixture for protein twice a week. They also have dried oak and maple leaves, and dry lilac wood. I think they're one of the species that does better with wood and leaf litter? (I have it all the tanks so I'm not sure if that's what is keeping them healthy.) They never seem to eat much though.

You will rarely ever see the nymphs out unless it's the middle of the night. I only ever see the adults running around willy-nilly. :lol:

I've been feeding mine the same as the others - a mix of fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, pear) and a dry dog food mixture for protein twice a week. They also have dried oak and maple leaves, and dry lilac wood. I think they're one of the species that does better with wood and leaf litter? (I have it all the tanks so I'm not sure if that's what is keeping them healthy.) They never seem to eat much though.

i see well i have mines with oak leaf litter. I hope they will live but my main question to all though is should i provide food like lettuce and stuff if they are just going to be hidden all the time doing whatever or what?

Okay then thank you all i put in lettuce and i seriously hope they nibble some of it befor eit goes bad

I haven't had much luck with lettuce with any of my roaches. Fruits and dog food go over much better!

I see well i might as well take out the lettuce then thanks shall try putting in an orange or something

I recently acquired 10 T. olegrandjeni (Question Mark Roach) nymphs, and their care requirements are very similar to those of the domino roach. From the information I've found, it seems as though they really do need leaf litter in their substrate in order to really thrive. I give mine a deep layer of eco earth mixed with oak tree leaf litter. It is completely normal for the nymphs to burrow down and stay there except to come up occasionally for food. Mine had buried themselves several inches down within minutes of me putting them into their enclosure. I have seen some in the food dish though. I feed all my roaches pretty much the same thing, although I do like to rotate foods for variety. Personally, I prefer not to use dog food, and especially not cat food for any of my feeders. I also prefer not to blend everything together and I try to offer a fairly wide variety. Right now I'm feeding plain oatmeal, wheat bran, ground flaxseed, granola, and powdered baby cereal mix as their "dry" foods. For moisture I'm giving small chunks of squash, pieces of carrots, and a little kale. Since I've witnessed them eating the food in the bowl and there is obviously less of everything I'd originally put in there, I'm pretty comfortable with feeding those things. I also like to feed small amounts of food more frequently, vs. giving large amounts that are only refilled/replaced infrequently. Since I use fruits and veggies to provide moisture it makes more sense for me to change out the food every few days to prevent mold.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, while the nymphs do stay buried, once they've molted into adults they will start spending time on the surface and seem to like to climb on branches and any other items in the cage, so you will get to enjoy their beautiful pattern once they mature :)