Odd Dubia (Again)

I was gathering up the tank to cull that problem colony of mine, when I spotted not one, but three oddballs sitting out right on top. So they get a reprieve for now while I figure out what they are and if they're really oddballs or just regular variation in the species. Would love some help figuring out what I'm looking at! :)

First up, "Wingless"

Not sure if it's an injury (since these guys are eating each other), or a mutation:

doddwings1.jpg

With a normal female for comparison:

doddwingnormalwing.jpg

Second, "Skinny-butt"

There are actually quite a few of these females (confirmed) that are built like wingless males. Thought it was really odd

"Skinny-butt" on top of "Orangey"

doddmalefemale.jpg

Third, "Orangey"

That weird colored nymph I mentioned in another thread turned into a weird color and shaped adult! Is it even a dubia? I'd love to try my hand at a breeding project with it. :)

dorange1.jpg

With "Skinny-butt" on the left and a normal female on the right:

dorange2.jpg

No wing is either bad molt or mutation, but not injury as every part is there. Not sure but cool looking!

Skinny looks like a heavily pregnant female. Some dubia can be more round or long than others, but usually the black ones are more round than ones with orange, I had one like it and it had a huge litter of babies and jumped which usually males do.

Orange one is abnormal color, yours is a beaut!

I'm in the process of raising nymphs from 2 orange dubia that were the parents. The nymphs do vary in color, some are normal some lighter than normal, only time will tell how vibrant they will be in color.

• 7 months later...

I was gathering up the tank to cull that problem colony of mine, when I spotted not one, but three oddballs sitting out right on top. So they get a reprieve for now while I figure out what they are and if they're really oddballs or just regular variation in the species. Would love some help figuring out what I'm looking at! smile.gif

First up, "Wingless"

Not sure if it's an injury (since these guys are eating each other), or a mutation:

doddwings1.jpg

With a normal female for comparison:

doddwingnormalwing.jpg

Second, "Skinny-butt"

There are actually quite a few of these females (confirmed) that are built like wingless males. Thought it was really odd

"Skinny-butt" on top of "Orangey"

doddmalefemale.jpg

Third, "Orangey"

That weird colored nymph I mentioned in another thread turned into a weird color and shaped adult! Is it even a dubia? I'd love to try my hand at a breeding project with it. smile.gif

dorange1.jpg

With "Skinny-butt" on the left and a normal female on the right:

dorange2.jpg

It's been 7 months since your post, so how are they all now? Do you try breeding the odd ones?

I've kept the orange one the and the wingless one separate from the others. Not having too much luck with their nymphs as they keep dying, and none are even close to adulthood yet. Both females are still alive though. The wingless one had a bad pregnancy (what the heck is it really called when roaches are gravid?) and had a blow-out on her last birthing. She's still hanging in there but I'm not sure for how long.

I've kept the orange one the and the wingless one separate from the others. Not having too much luck with their nymphs as they keep dying, and none are even close to adulthood yet. Both females are still alive though. The wingless one had a bad pregnancy (what the heck is it really called when roaches are gravid?) and had a blow-out on her last birthing. She's still hanging in there but I'm not sure for how long.

I think its just called being gravid. :)

I don't have wingless but my orange females were highly productive, more so than the dark ones! I do notice at first the nymphs are fragile, you need to provide a great diet and place food near all hiding areas so they don't starve. Mine thrived on oranges, cat food, romaine lettuce, and white bread. Some reason adult dubia don't enjoy romaine lettuce but the nymphs crave it? From my results the light color gene is fine in females it's males with it that actually have a low survival rate. They start out fine but older nymphs tend to be bullied or smaller sized. All of mine survived, some light nymphs actually became super dark adults, and some were light, but the light males have what looks like soft, wrinkled wings that appear to have color loss and partially transparent. I only had 2 makes that are light that didnt have it. But it's all cosmetic, it does not affect their health and they all are great breeders.

• 10 months later...

I've sort of been half-trying for a breeding project for the pearly gold coloration. Ended up with one awesome colored male and just had a neat female pop up, too. There are a lot of bright yellow nymphs so I'm interested to see what else emerges over time. :)

orangedubia.jpg

Also, had this little lady pop up a few months back. I'm really surprised she's still alive. Her back end is all blown out and she moves like she's dying. But she's been like that for months now, and she's still kicking. Dark all over and has a really dull and bumpy exoskeleton. Unfortunately she can't reproduce.

blackdubia.jpg

I've sort of been half-trying for a breeding project for the pearly gold coloration. Ended up with one awesome colored male and just had a neat female pop up, too. There are a lot of bright yellow nymphs so I'm interested to see what else emerges over time. :)

orangedubia.jpg

Also, had this little lady pop up a few months back. I'm really surprised she's still alive. Her back end is all blown out and she moves like she's dying. But she's been like that for months now, and she's still kicking. Dark all over and has a really dull and bumpy exoskeleton. Unfortunately she can't reproduce.

blackdubia.jpg

Those are all incredible colors, looks like your project is coming all good. More people need to try this because if you can get a whole colony of brightly colored roaches people might actually keep them just because they look nice :)

If you didn't want the dark female id be happy to buy her through paypal to keep with my all black male. I don't breed them anymore it would be as a pet.

I thought about you when I first found her! :) However, her rear is so prolapsed that I would be concerned with trying to mail her. One good bump and I don't think she'd survive. I really am shocked she's still alive, I was figuring that first week she'd die, but she's been eating and even trying to produce ootheca.

I thought about you when I first found her! :) However, her rear is so prolapsed that I would be concerned with trying to mail her. One good bump and I don't think she'd survive. I really am shocked she's still alive, I was figuring that first week she'd die, but she's been eating and even trying to produce ootheca.

I had one with a prolapse live 8 months after, it's not always fatal. I don't think they can get pregnant though. If you carefully package the container surrounded by newspaper it protects them, and with the roach have paper towels in or paper egg crate. I've been trying to buy a roach from you for ages but you've always declined my offer. If she isn't going to breed she won't be of use to you but for me as a pet she has a purpose. Just pack her carefully and she should be fine, I had roaches molt in transit and get no injury and that stage when soft any bump can cause damage but good packing prevents that. Would you re consider ?

You've been asking for things that haven't popped up in any of my colonies. :P

I think you have me all wrong! These are my pets. :) Nearly every animal I have in the house is "defective" in some way or has been rescued or is considered unadoptable except for the roaches. Finding one that needs a little extra care is not at all unwelcome. She's in a bin with a bunch of females and only one male so she never gets bothered but yet still has that security of being around others of her own kind.

I've come to enjoy her quite a lot, and look forward to seeing her in the bins when I feed them every day. She can't move well or climb anything, she can't flip herself over if she ends up on her back (my fault because she hangs out around the food dish), and there is so much swollen tissue bulging from her back that I seriously can't believe she's still alive, and it only continues to get worse with time. (I didn't even know that females had that wide of an opening back there.) I truly believe that she would not survive the stress or the action of being mailed, no matter how much I pad things. She can't hang onto anything to steady herself and I wouldn't want anything to touch her hind end for fear of injury or infection.

Allright, it's just that I was looking for a female that can't get pregnant With my males , or a gynandromorph, or one that survives post ultimate molt, all are terribly hard to find. Your female was the only one that fit the bill. I understand though I won't bother you anymore.

Are these what orangey nymphs look like?

pNqedIt.jpg

I found these several weeks ago and their color hasn't changed since. They make look yellowish in the picture, but they are actually bright orange in person. I hope I can find more of these in my colonies so I can maybe start isolating this morph.

Are these what orangey nymphs look like?

pNqedIt.jpg

I found these several weeks ago and their color hasn't changed since. They make look yellowish in the picture, but they are actually bright orange in person. I hope I can find more of these in my colonies so I can maybe start isolating this morph.

Yes, they can get even more orange or red but yours are still light in color.

I think that may be because of my phone's flash. They look a lot more orange in person. Honestly the pictures don't do them any justice.

Here's another picture of them without flash:

tbKzQbD.jpg

This one is also off. They aren't this dark. My phone camera just sucks. Thay best way I can describe their color is that of a gatorade bottle cap.

The nymphs can vary in color from molt to molt, and the only way to know what you'll get in the end is to have them molt to adulthood. They could also be the "normal" yellow striped ones that are naturally lighter, which will also pop up in every colony.