Hisser's been pregnant for 5 months, only halfway done!

Keith

I witnessed one of my hisser females mate in August, that's 5 months ago! I never saw an aborted egg case and was doubting mabye she never got pregnant yet she remained fat. Today I witnessed her air her egg case and it's back in, so she is fertile. How many more months until birth? This is crazy, every place I read says about 2 months full gestation, if the other half of the term is the same it will be 10 months gestation total!!!! The egg case was super long and shiny, each egg was huge looking I bet these will be humongous! Is this some sort of hibernation mode?

Hi

I think temperature has a important influence on gestation. When I get low temperatures,my hisser nearly doesn't lay eggs!

We can't talk of real hibernation, this term is more for mammals and so on, which can get lower corporal temperatures in this period. Cockroaches can't make any variation, but their rythm get slower (less activity, les nutrition, ...) when the temperature is too cold for them ;)

That might be they aren't at the warmest temperature possible. Its crazy to think, if they can live 5 years, and are almost pregnant for a year, that's a LONG time to be pregnant for such a short lifespan!

• 3 months later...

What is your enclosure temp? Can you increase it and diversity her diet?

Diet is very diverse, I didnt have a way to raise temp but she is in my room which is the top floor in my house and the warmest room. Being the warm weather is coming soon my room will be above 80 F soon so I bet then she will give birth!

Diet is very diverse, I didnt have a way to raise temp but she is in my room which is the top floor in my house and the warmest room. Being the warm weather is coming soon my room will be above 80 F soon so I bet then she will give birth!

Anyway you can get it to 85F? Do you have a warm appliance (e.g., computer) you can set her enclosure on? This will help with gestation. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Update, her abdomen has been opening up more for the past 2 days and her breathing has become heavier, I think its similar to contractions. My guess is within the week she should give birth. She's huge every segment in her abdomen has wide white lines she can barely climb anything!

I woke up today and checked my tank and I see all babies! She finally gave birth! And guess what, today is Mothers Day! What an awesome birthday! Will post pics later, can't believe how long their antennae are!

I just looked at my records and the total months pregnant for this hisser was 9, same as a human!

I dont see many babies but she still looks pretty large, I wonder if she has more inside yet to be birthed?

Here are photos of 2 babies and another photo of one baby that looks deformed, it has egg sac stuck to it. I removed the stuck skin and it helped the baby looks crooked and walks sideways but is able to climb glass, groom itself, and has eaten so it may heal next shed.

post-117-0-16678800-1368422573_thumb.jpg

Wow 9 months! Congrats on the new babies. Were you able to count how many she had?

Wow 9 months! Congrats on the new babies. Were you able to count how many she had?

Not yet most are hiding. I saw around 10 so far but I imagine there are more. They are large for babies so mabye she had less, larger babies instead of more, smaller ones.

I don't know how many she had, but if all you can find are 10....I'd be checking under the enclosure, behind and under whatever it's on as well....she surely had more than 10 offspring even if they died or were still born....have you checked your substrate really well?

I don't know how many she had, but if all you can find are 10....I'd be checking under the enclosure, behind and under whatever it's on as well....she surely had more than 10 offspring even if they died or were still born....have you checked your substrate really well?

I do a full cleaning of tank once a month that is when I take everything apart and go through substrate so ill know then. I'm seeing the nymphs crawl around now they are so fast on glass compared to the slow adults.

Also I'm excited to see what color they will be if like mom or dad or a combo of both.

Today the baby Hisser with the deformity died, looks like it was ready to shed but was too weak to have the old skin split. At least I gave it a chance. The rest are doing good though very active!