Substrate importance

RaZias

I was cleaning the hissers vivarium and I think I have lost some little roaches by changing the substrate.

I wonder if they can be breed without substrate.

What is the importance of the substrate to them ?

Is it necessary for breeding or simply to make the enviroment more natural to them ?

(PS: don´t post methods to capture little roaches during the cleaning just focus on the importance of the substrate)

In my view, it's one of the most important think to get in a tank... Roaches like to eat it, there are loads of mycellium and other stuff in it that are important for them ;)

What you use as substrate ?

Only a few of my roaches have substrate. My G.portentosa reproduce like mad with just egg crates to climb on. Same with the majority of my other hissers. My peppereds have a good two inches or so of bark type stuff and some moss...I'm going to switch this to more of a dirt mixture with moss...HUMIDITY is oh so important for them. Everybody else is pretty much on the egg crate bus : )

• 3 months later...

In my view, it's one of the most important think to get in a tank... Roaches like to eat it, there are loads of mycellium and other stuff in it that are important for them ;)

Do you know if substrate is important for German, like for nutrients?