Cold resistant roaches

All right Im looking for a roach species that is resistant to the cold or at least tolerate it I have also found out that dubias huddle up to conserve heat when espoused to the cold :/ I am also looking for a species that is easy to abtain

Thanks

Most roaches that can survive the winter unheated in your area can be pests in your area if they get out. The idea behind using tropical roaches in part is as a safety mechanism in case of escape.we don't need to many unprepared people keeping cold resistant species. If Burmese pythons can make the injurious wildlife list, our help beloved dubia could make it quickly if there were a California introduction.that being said, I would go with the american cockroach.

Thanks for that heads up does any one know where to get american cockroaches at a cheap price I know there natives here because I seen a dead specimen a while back but I don't see any live specimens. This post brings back memories when I lived in Los Angeles when I was in elamentary school one flew on me and climbed down my leg every one was freaking out but I reamaned calm :)

Doesn't get cheaper than "wild" caught. Pit traps with greased(vasoline) sides. Bait with beer soaked bread. Try behind restaurants, drainage areas, and low end apt complexes. There are of coarse potential disease risks.

Online there is nothing I would consider cheap for americans but they are available. The white eyes are neat.

Alright heres the deal I keep my roaches out side in the balcony because I live in the apartments and I'm not allowed to keep my insects inside because my care taker is a agianst roaches. of coures i try to tell them that they don't infest but they don't lisen. they always tell me to put a blanket over them do you think this will work.also do any of you know of any heat producing items that will work that don't use any electricity :mellow:

Rotten wood produces heat. I guess roaches hibernate. If not then at least the egg cases will be there to hatch out next spring.I really thought I knew intolerance when I just kept snakes. I can remember not to long ago thinking this guy I met at a reptile show was nuts for breeding roaches to feed his tarantulas. Now I am right there with him although I like roaches better than tarantulas !!

Thanks i will try along with other methods :P I think I might get green banana roaches I'm aware that they fly and the adults short life span but are they easy to keep and breed in captivity and more pacifically under my current predicament :l

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks i will try along with other methods :P I think I might get green banana roaches I'm aware that they fly and the adults short life span but are they easy to keep and breed in captivity and more pacifically under my current predicament :l

Panchlora nivea isn't exactly cold tolerant but will do okay at room temp, but preferably a good bit higher. Cold tolerant roaches that I know of... Well any native Parcoblatta species is perfect and Blattella germanica will do decent enough. Periplaneta americana will tolerate the cold but it's molting cycle slows down to a crawl. Over the winter my house is 60-64F and I don't use lamps much often, all my species will tolerate the temperature but their life cycle is put in a stasis.

Thanks for the reply vfox. I see what you mean about life cycle stasis my blabtica dubia are really lagging it (lagging it is slang for slow) on there growth. I just thought of a idea for heating my roaches … pocket warmers will it work?

Thanks for the reply vfox. I see what you mean about life cycle stasis my blabtica dubia are really lagging it (lagging it is slang for slow) on there growth. I just thought of a idea for heating my roaches … pocket warmers will it work?

I'm not sure you can find ones that last long enough to be cost effective. The longest ones I saw were like 72 hours and cost a good bit. How is your house heated? Why not sit the tanks near the heating units or vents. That way every time your heat turns on it will heat them. Otherwise get a heatlamp.