E. Prosticus

jbrd

We recently aquired aprox. 20 mixed E. Prosticus (10 adults - mixed juvies and nymphs). We have them on 7-8 inches of dry peat moss substrate and we keep them at around 80deg.; feed them catfood and veggie/fruit, with occasional cooked meat pieces.

How long til we see nymphs?

How long is the breeding cycle, from mating to birth?

How old are the females at maturity? Males?

How long do they live?

What's the easiest way to tell females from males?

We recently aquired aprox. 20 mixed E. Prosticus (10 adults - mixed juvies and nymphs). We have them on 7-8 inches of dry peat moss substrate and we keep them at around 80deg.; feed them catfood and veggie/fruit, with occasional cooked meat pieces.

How long til we see nymphs?

How long is the breeding cycle, from mating to birth?

How old are the females at maturity? Males?

How long do they live?

What's the easiest way to tell females from males?

First: Get them off of that deep substrate. 2" will be fine. Better if it is cypress mulch (uncolored).

Second: Don't feed them cooked meat. Fruits, vegetables, and dog, cat, or fish food is fine/best for them.

Third: Questions that include the phrases "How long..." and "How old..." generally rely on other variables like available food, water, consistency of temperature, etc.

Helpful hint: Google.com

So your answers are as follows:

Nymphs may show up any day now to 4 months, depending on the age of your adults and if any are already in production.

Mating to birth under perfect conditions...maybe 3 months.

Males mature faster than females in most roach species, and depending on how slow or fast they grow which depends on how high the temps are, how much water they get, and how much food they get, and if they are getting the right nutritional balance in thier diet. Maybe 6 months.

They can live a couple to three years under average care. Sometime larger roaches can live a bit longer.

Males are smaller and narrower than females. Look underneath at the last few segments. On females the last section is considerably larger than the last segment of a male.

the proper name is Eublaberus posticus (thanks Olivia for correting me)

i would get them off the peat

to acidic

i would put them on a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and dirt

how ever deep is fine

mine are at 7 inches and i have less that 10 adults and am getting tons of babies from them

cypress seems to be worse than peat to me

if they eat it and you feed them to your reptiles you may kill the reptiles from the resin

just a though

i would feed them veggies and cat food

many brand name dog foods add a slight pesticide to their food to keep worms under control in the dogs

cat food usually doesnt have this

fish food is high in phosporous

tho mammals do need this for healthy growth

on the other hand this is a poison to inverts

if will make them produce less young

this is used mainly for the protein

and so is dog/cat food

i urge people to get dried soy beans and boil them to a soft texture then feed to the roaches

cheaper and healthier

a bit more time consuming tho

(sorry for the spelling its 6:13AM here)

I have had Eublaberus prosticus on cypress for 12 years without issues, as cypress mulch DOES NOT contain any resins, like pine and fir. They have for a majority of this time eaten fish food and fruit with little else, and I still have hundreds of adults and uncountable nymphs. Some tarantulas and a lizard have eaten some of these E.prosticus without any results other than a full belly.

If substrate is too deep, nymphs can get smothered. Why waste all that media if only 2" or so works fine? I think if Froggy modified his setup, he would get alot more production than what he has.

the proper name is Eublaberus posticus (thanks Olivia for correting me)

i would get them off the peat

to acidic

i would put them on a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and dirt

how ever deep is fine

mine are at 7 inches and i have less that 10 adults and am getting tons of babies from them

cypress seems to be worse than peat to me

if they eat it and you feed them to your reptiles you may kill the reptiles from the resin

just a though

i would feed them veggies and cat food

many brand name dog foods add a slight pesticide to their food to keep worms under control in the dogs

cat food usually doesnt have this

fish food is high in phosporous

tho mammals do need this for healthy growth

on the other hand this is a poison to inverts

if will make them produce less young

this is used mainly for the protein

and so is dog/cat food

i urge people to get dried soy beans and boil them to a soft texture then feed to the roaches

cheaper and healthier

a bit more time consuming tho

(sorry for the spelling its 6:13AM here)