Blattodea of NY

I've been searching for a while and can't seem to find any reliable source of what native species we have in New York. A few years ago I was canoeing on the lake I grew up on. There's a cliff face that's great for fossil hunting, so I was taking some chunks out to inspect them. In the process I disturbed some roaches and there appeared to be multiple oothecae ~6 inches deep in the crevices. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now it seems a bit strange to me. This is a fairly large cliff, with very little leaf litter in that area. You'd have to travel a good 50 feet to the top to get to forest litter. Now I'm trying to figure out what this species could have been. This was in Central NY a good 5 hours from the city. If anyone could point me in the direction of range maps, or just general info on the species we have here, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the list of roaches from NY (based on pics submitted on bug guide)

Blatta orientalis

Blattella germanica

Ectobius lucidus

Ectobius pallidus

Parcoblatta pennsylvanica

Parcoblatta uhleriana

Parcoblatta virginica

Periplaneta americana

Periplaneta australasiae

The roaches you found were likely be Parcoblatta sp.

In NYC there is the infamous periplaneta japonica.. it's unique in the sense that it is the ice fish of roaches and can survive - temps...I think they also are active during winter and walk on snow... They are only found at High line the Manhattan park...No were else in the US have they been reported.

If you went out to collect them you would be the first person in the hobby with them on this forum.

• 1 month later...

Here is a brief article about the "invasion"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/high-line-brought-invasive-cockroach-nyc-article-1.1542222

Also, while we are on the subject....Does anyone recommend a site(s), or publications that would help me learn about the native roaches of North America? Bug Guide was suggested to me, and I am sure I will use it. But I was hoping for a more usable field guide kind of thing. I live in New Jersey, so even just roaches of the Northeast, and Southeast Coastal Plain (I take road trips to florida a lot) would be awesome! Thanks so much.

A guy (mild acquaintance) I knew in High School ended up studying biology, and is working with lepidopterans in AZ. I sent him a message on facebook asking him to keep an eye out for native roaches down there, and asking if he knew about any native ones in MI (where we both grew up).

Here are his replies to my inquiries:

I dont think I have seen a roach yet, Ive actually have seen more back in the UP. I will keep my eyes open while I am flipping logs and things this summer. They area group I havnt really thought about since they are not really that big of herbivores and they dont eat herbivores. Always cool though.

I cant remember the native one we had up north at the moment. It seemed to be always hanging out under rocks on all the granite Canadian shield formations that make up the Huron Mountains.

His comments about the UP are in reference to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I found it funny that he has seen more roaches in the UP of Michigan than in AZ!

I don't know him well enough to expect any favors from him, but now he at leasts know sI am interested if he finds anything. I though I'd share this info on the discussion board here, in case anyone plans a roaching trip to the UP of Michigan (beautiful country, but not what I'd think of for roaches!!!)