Pale bordered field roach, Pseudomops septentrionalis

Hisserdude

Awesome pics! I love this species but it seems like my nymphs are just staggered enough that I only have one adult at a time. A couple of my nymphs are good sized though so maybe I can finally have a couple adults together (and fingers crossed for a pair!).

Awesome pics! I love this species but it seems like my nymphs are just staggered enough that I only have one adult at a time. A couple of my nymphs are good sized though so maybe I can finally have a couple adults together (and fingers crossed for a pair!).

That seems to be the biggest problem when keeping this species, happens quite often apparently. They take so long to mature,and when they do, they can die before another matures in time to mate with it!!

it seems some pics I see of these the adults are black, red and white while others are brown, orangish red and cream. Is the variation common or are the darker pics a little altered?

• 4 months later...

Here are some pictures of my remaining pair, hopefully they produce some viable oothecae for me soon!

Female

PseudoF%25231.JPG

PseudoF%25233.JPG

Male

PseudoM%25231.JPG

PseudoM%25233.JPG

Ootheca; these are how all mine look, anything that makes them look like they may be infertile?

Pseudoooth%25231.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Got four WC adults from San Antonio TX, three females and four males, which will hopefully be fertile and more hardy than the stock I got from Roachcrossing!

Here are some pictures of them:

Male

Pseudomops%25232.JPG

Pseudomops%25235.JPG

Female carrying ootheca:

Pseudomops%25236.JPG

Pseudomops%25237.JPG

Here's a female that is pretty messed up looking, I've affectionately named her "BP", aka "Broken Pseudomops"

Pseudomops%25231.JPG

• Like 1

Congrat.! Hope you get tons of nymphs!

Looks like the female on the last pic has damage on pronotum :(

Thanks, I hope so too! :)

Yup, hence the name BP. She seems to be functioning just fine, hopefully the damage isn't fatal.

• 10 months later...

Yeah I definitely need to get this species again at some point. My colony totally crashed and none of the ooths would hatch. I have a better setup idea though, so that should greatly help. 

2 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Yeah I definitely need to get this species again at some point. My colony totally crashed and none of the ooths would hatch. I have a better setup idea though, so that should greatly help. 

You should, they are a very nice species to have! My first attempt ended in failure, none of the oothecae the female produced hatched, luckily my second attempt went way more smoothly! :)

How are you rearing them now 'Dude? Never done well long term with these myself.

All the best from Bill. :D

1 hour ago, Bufo Bill said:

How are you rearing them now 'Dude? Never done well long term with these myself.

I got them in a medium sized plastic container with good ventilation, moist coconut fiber as the substrate, I mixed some sphagnum moss in too but right now it's all covered up in frass. I have bark pieces and dead leaves for hides, and feed them dog/cat food and apples.

They are fairly easy to keep, just gotta make sure to start out with a bunch of them, or at least with one mated female, as they have rather staggered growth rates and short adult lifespans, so you could end up never having a male and a female pair mature at the same time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bufo Bill said:

Thanks for clearing that up. 

No problem, happy to help! :)

• 4 years later...

Got a starter culture from my old San Antonio, TX (2016) stock back, here are some pics of an adult female! :D

AVvXsEgCEqAEP_TICbfI69OIFszyVwG93InFchTB

AVvXsEi3CXseoEDh1vvl0dG1LO5pNUkuAEdfkx66

AVvXsEjTY8Y4zh_i9ITS09gdPl8wQwf7tCYG5G1C

AVvXsEi9sKT5R5H_UAp9zKBl-0Ln3AsBvOzTceI8

AVvXsEi06ee1zX1eG7uep0s8pwBlfbrHNmLeZFab

Here's hoping they'll be as prolific as they were for me last time, this female has already been busy laying ooths! 😁

• Like 1