Blaberus Temperature

got my B.colosseus at about 75f. under the substrate at the botom, its 100f. they're growing well. got them as small nymphs a few months ago. they have tripled their size!

• 2 months later...

Yikes, that does not sound normal at all. Apparently these guys can breed in the 70s, so that may be where you want to keep them at. Sorry for your losses. :(

Thanks! Ya, bummer that the adults died. :(

Yes, I might need to keep them in the 70s or it might just be typical adult deaths for this species. I wanted to crank them up to 82 F so they would reproduce at a greater rate but maybe this species does not respond the way some Blaberus do.

Anybody keep Blaberus giganteus (Giant Cave Roach) in the low 80s and not have all the adults die?

I feel like it is too much of a coincidence that all of your adults died once you bumped the temps up, that seems like a much higher die off rate than usual for this species.

I feel like it is too much of a coincidence that all of your adults died once you bumped the temps up, that seems like a much higher die off rate than usual for this species.

Ya, it is not the norm. :) I have the colony down to 75 F. I am not going to push it back up. I am going to bump the Blaberus craniifer (Death's Head Roach) up to the low 80s. They should be fine.

what kind of heat source do you have in there? i have heat mats under neath my tanks and never had any losses of any of my 7 species. mid tank is low 70's about 80 on the sub. surface about 110 on the bottom under the sub. the roaches just hang where its most comfortable for them. better than heating a room to one temp. in my opinion as they can get closer to the heat when cold further away when hot. room temp is 65f.

what kind of heat source do you have in there? i have heat mats under neath my tanks and never had any losses of any of my 7 species. mid tank is low 70's about 80 on the sub. surface about 110 on the bottom under the sub. the roaches just hang where its most comfortable for them. better than heating a room to one temp. in my opinion as they can get closer to the heat when cold further away when hot. room temp is 65f.

Ok. So maybe the higher temps are fine. I use Zoomed heat cables.

All my Blaberus species ( about 8 different species ) thrived in my garage here in texas where it got up to 90.... they bred , babies grew fast , and everyone ate like no tomorrow. The only down side of keeping Blaberus so warm is, they were always thirsty. I was misting them down in my tubs every other night. Blaberus are a lot of fun, I really do miss all mine!

All my Blaberus species ( about 8 different species ) thrived in my garage here in texas where it got up to 90.... they bred , babies grew fast , and everyone ate like no tomorrow. The only down side of keeping Blaberus so warm is, they were always thirsty. I was misting them down in my tubs every other night. Blaberus are a lot of fun, I really do miss all mine!

Wow! OK. Were you keeping Blaberus giganteus at those temps? :)

my B.colosess stay down in the sub.where its in the 90f range. never see them on the surface. if giganteus are similar then they like it warmer than even my hissers.

my B.colosess stay down in the sub.where its in the 90f range. never see them on the surface. if giganteus are similar then they like it warmer than even my hissers.

Ya, my Blaberus colosseus seem to be able to take the heat too. Just not sure about the Blaberus giganteus...I have read online that the Blaberus giganteus also live in trees but I am not sure if this is true. I know they live in caves and also live at the openings of caves. I am wondering if they are just not as heat tolerant as the others Blaberus that do not live in caves.