G. grandidieri nymph died after eating orange ?

jared

Hey guys, one of my G. Grandidieri just up and died while eating an orange. I found him on the underside of the peel... I washed it but I guess there must have still been strong insecticides on the outside.

Is it possible I'm over reacting and he's molting? Do hissers ever molt upside-down?

Also, the orange had a bit of mold on it, it was 2 days old. I thought hissers could digest mold tho

Unfortunately he is probably dead, sorry. :( Like you said, there may have been some pesticides on the oranges, or maybe that species has an issue with oranges. In any case, I wouldn't feed them oranges again, at least not from that same brand.

Yeah, I got the little guy out and he was dead for sure. :( I pulled out the orange right away and replaced it with a lightly steamed potato and carrots. I still haven't really found foods that these nymphs enjoy besides fish food, which they snub now. I even ground up the dog food pieces and they still don't seem to be going for it.

Sorry man, I hope no more die. :( Eh, nymphs have relatively small appetites, it can be hard to tell when they are actually eating the food you give them or not.

Thanks, it's cool I have quite a few survivors molting and looking healthy. Ok that's good to know. It looks like my G Portentosa is in the "giving birth position" and was violently shaking before, so it looks like I'll have quite a few babies in my future in spite of the loss!

If you want to measure a bit more if your nymphs are eating or not, wait a week before giving them anything to eat. By the end of that week, they'll certainly be hungry enough to eat what you throw in there. It can be really hard to tell with nymphs or with small species as a whole whether they're eating or not. I always feel like I'm pulling out as much as I'm putting in, but they're all growing and doing well, so I guess I'm doing something right lol.

Ok so I read in a care sheet not to put orange rinds in with the orange. -_- Oh well, too late now. I think I'll try feeding them a different brand with no rind because they pretty much inhaled it last time. Also, I'm being careful to only feed them organic produce now.

Also, I'm being careful to only feed them organic produce now.

Recognize that organic does not mean pesticide free. It just means that there are difference requirements for pesticide use. Some organic pesticides are more toxic than conventional...