Mystery of the disappearing roaches

A month and a half ago I purchased starter culture of Gyna centuio from capecodroaches. The nymphs I was sent were tiny. They were slightly larger than fruit flies, but not by much. I always checked on them by sifting though the substrate, and they were doing well for a whiile. The strange part is, over time they became harder and harder to find. I looked for thirty minutes one time and only found a single tiny nymph. I just spent and hour or so sifting through the substrate, and I couldn't find a single roach. There were large pieces of exuvia in the substrate which indicates they have molted, (and grown quite large) but I can't find any living roaches. Does anyone know how I can find them? Do you think they are dead?

In my experience, burrowing roaches are hiding masters. I dug for half an hour looking for one Polyphaga aegyptiaca nymph, turned that cage upside down and couldn't find it. I assumed it died. Next week I dug it up near the surface of the substrate. How I didn't find it is beyond me, it wasn't a tiny nymph or anything. So I wouldn't worry about them, I'm sure they are in there.

In my experience, burrowing roaches are hiding masters. I dug for half an hour looking for one Polyphaga aegyptiaca nymph, turned that cage upside down and couldn't find it. I assumed it died. Next week I dug it up near the surface of the substrate. How I didn't find it is beyond me, it wasn't a tiny nymph or anything. So I wouldn't worry about them, I'm sure they are in there.

Thanks for that. I guess I really should have titled this post "reassure me my roaches are alive." I really want to have success with this species, and I was having a mini heart attack there for a minute.

Thanks for that. I guess I really should have titled this post "reassure me my roaches are alive." I really want to have success with this species, and I was having a mini heart attack there for a minute.

Lol yeah you should have! :lol: My Gyna lurida nymphs have been hiding very well, they stay well below the surface of the substrate, but not all the way at the bottom where I could see them. Still, they've been eating the food I give them, so know they're alive!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have any expiernce with this genus but many nymphs play dead when disturbed. If they are soil colored as nymphs maybe they stoped moving and it made it hard to find them? Good luck with them they seem really cool. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mystery solved! After 4 months of not seeing any sign of this species, I FINALLY caught a glimpse of a large nymph. It looks like it will mature soon too. :) The nymphs of this species don't look like typical Gyna nymphs. They look a bit like larger versions of early instar hisser nymphs to me.

Mystery solved! After 4 months of not seeing any sign of this species, I FINALLY caught a glimpse of a large nymph. It looks like it will mature soon too. :) The nymphs of this species don't look like typical Gyna nymphs. They look a bit like larger versions of early instar hisser nymphs to me.

Nice, glad they are still alive! :) Hopefully they'll mature for you soon, I'm still looking foward to our trade! ;)

Nice, glad they are still alive! :) Hopefully they'll mature for you soon, I'm still looking foward to our trade! ;)

Good thing you didn't forget about that. Thanks, I'm looking forward to it to!