Blaberus giganteus question

So, I just recieved some Blaerus giganteus today. Was a few adults and 2 or 4 big nymphs. Soon after I put them all in there a large nymph started to molt. And I went back in to check on it a couple of minutes ago and the other roaches had eaten most of....what gives with this? I know E. prosticus are favmous for eating each other. but B. giganteus?

Perhaps they were kept improperly and are all hungry, you should get some dog food in there pronto, and make sure the humidity is high. Sorry for your loss, hopefully they won't do that again.

Give them some protein and fruit (apple/pear/banana) and vertical spaces to open their wings. Make sure they have space to get away from each other. I see this occasionally, but not often in my tank.

Thanks Thomas. I did, they r in a 5 gal tank. and have plenty of vertical bark. they are awesome looking when they spread their wings BTW! i dont know why they did that little buttholes. I had food in there for them. they ate that too. maybe stress for the trip.

Trip stress and I maybe wrong on this but I think I heard they don't like crowding like other roaches do so the largest roach in the smallest aquarium might have doubled the stress.

They are in a 5 gal tank, but there is only 4 of them and 2 nymphs.

That might work ive seen the large pet spieces packed tight but there will be loses from canabalism, mismolts, etc. A 5 gal is a good short term solution just plan to give them more space as they start to reproduce. These are very different then feeder spieces that thrive on being close together. I know in crickets when thier antenna touch it causes a stress responce if its to frequent. Some roaches are very similar haveing "battles" just by hiting thier opponents antenna with thier own. Hissers are well known for these terratorial disputes. In general tree and cave dwelling roaches are more teratorial then leave litter/ground dwelling roaches. Hopefully others will chime in to confirm this cause I dont want to come across as a negative nancy lol I just want you to have the best possible expierence raiseing this fun speices. :)

That might work ive seen the large pet spieces packed tight but there will be loses from canabalism, mismolts, etc. A 5 gal is a good short term solution just plan to give them more space as they start to reproduce. These are very different then feeder spieces that thrive on being close together. I know in crickets when thier antenna touch it causes a stress responce if its to frequent. Some roaches are very similar haveing "battles" just by hiting thier opponents antenna with thier own. Hissers are well known for these terratorial disputes. In general tree and cave dwelling roaches are more teratorial then leave litter/ground dwelling roaches. Hopefully others will chime in to confirm this cause I dont want to come across as a negative nancy lol I just want you to have the best possible expierence raiseing this fun speices. :)

No problem, I appreciate the input. I dont think reproduction will be a problem either. I have 4 adults (they r males) and 1 very small nymph and 2 larger ones. I dont think that will be enough to get a colony going.

sorry I couldn't send a better mix :-(

Hey Thomas no problem man! I didnt mean it negatively at all!! I wasnt even expecting them. they were a very welcome surprise! :) I love them. I was just saying they arent going to breed cause those guys were saying that was only a temporary enclosure solution until they started breeding.