Housing question

Mina

Hi, I'm new here and I'm trying to get some help, I have two roach colonies, one of B. latteralis, one of disciods, neither is doing as well as I would like.

They get water crystals and either premium dog or cat food, fish flakes, oatmean, bran, and occasional fruits and veggies. Neither colony has an additional heat source.

My question is about housing size. Is it bad for the roaches to be in a tub that is to big and allows them to much room? That and the lack of an additional heat source are the only things I can come up with that might be my problem.

Can anyone help?

I keep my dubias in a large tub. I don't have any air holes but I open it to get a roach out every few days. I was worried about the lack of air, but my dubias are breeding like crazy. I think if you keep the tub in a warm place in your house you won't need an additional heat source for them.

I keep my dubias in a large tub. I don't have any air holes but I open it to get a roach out every few days. I was worried about the lack of air, but my dubias are breeding like crazy. I think if you keep the tub in a warm place in your house you won't need an additional heat source for them.

The room I keep mine in stays around 80 degrees +/- one or two.

Another thing, if the enclosure is much larger than needed, maybe they are producing but they spread out in that big enclosure and you just can't tell it yet. Give them some time. Could just be rambling, I dunno.

We could start a whole new thread on how much biomass per square inches of enclosure works for what species. Ex: some roaches seem to do better crowded, so smaller spaces are better and put them in larger spaces as the colony grows. On the other hand, I am having the opposite to be true with some species (like my B.giganteus) who like ALOT of space, if too many are in one place they fight. Though I have heard of people who raise them in crowded conditions just fine.....just doesnt work for the ones I have.

Rough idea: 20% of the space in the enclosure filled with roaches, 20% media/climbing stuff, and the rest open air.

Anyone? Thoughts?

I've allways had a lot of room for my discoids, they seem to prefer to group together and leave much of the egg crates empty. I origally had them at mid 70's and they bred terribly slow, i moved it to 85-87 and they grow and breed like crazy.

What i've read on latteris is that they will go nuts at room temp.

glen

• 1 month later...