Care and breeding of Megaloblatta spp.

Hello there everybody,

I'm new in this forum; I've just enjoyed some threads and looks very helpful...

I'm an enthusiastic on the cockroach breeding... and recently I've got an small group of non-adult Megaloblatta sp. I've been keeping them as any roach from wet places; but I'm afraid to mess ir up with this species... it's very hard to get them. So guys... Do anyone of you have some experience on the keeping of this genus? Or know about someone who has successfully breed this roaches?...

Feel free to guess the best way to go with them... real experiences would be immensely appreciate. 

Picture note: Of course that's not the keeping cage :-) 

0a6b7347-c423-4c14-badb-5c7347feddc2.jpg

• Like 2

Wow!!! I'm never seen photos of Megaloblatta nymphs before, I've just got to say they're COLOSSAL and truly breathtaking!!!:D

Unfortunately, I'm unsure if anyone on the forum has had experience with keeping this species just because they're so rare. In any case,I hope you find the info your looking for!:)

Welcome to the forums, are you in the US?

Amazing roaches, looks like you got some subadults there. :) Have you observed them making any rattling noises at all? Unfortunately there is very little information on these roaches, the only specimens I'm aware of that have made it into captivity have proven to be short lived and have produced very few oothecae, which never hatched, so I don't know how yours will fare.  

Seeing as they are aboreal I'd say good ventilation is a must, as well as high humidity. Be sure to give them lots of hides (preferably bark) and lots of vertical space. Handling is probably not a great idea as Ectobiids can stress easily. Be sure to offer a variety of foods, dog food, fruits, veggies.

I really hope these do well for you, maybe you'll be the first to successfully breed these beautiful roaches! :) Be sure to keep us updated!

Hello Hisserdude & All About Insects,

Thank you very much for your response. No, I'm not in USA... I live in Colombia (btw, excuses for my english :P ). 

This is a very nervous species that produces noises very often (similar to the hissing of Grommphadorhina) of course I don't use to manipulate. In the picture I was about to house them.

I've tried some variety of food and I've found a good response with the conventional ways to feed roaches (based on dog-cat food and veggies)... I'll consider all your recommendations about the enclosure.

Thank you very much again and I will keep you informed of any event. ;-) 

• Like 1

Glad to hear they're eating well, and what a gorgeous species at that! I agree with Hisserdude that they'll need plenty of vertical space, if not for climbing, then for when they molt. 

21 hours ago, Xenoblatta said:

Hello Hisserdude & All About Insects,

Thank you very much for your response. No, I'm not in USA... I live in Colombia (btw, excuses for my english :P ). 

This is a very nervous species that produces noises very often (similar to the hissing of Grommphadorhina) of course I don't use to manipulate. In the picture I was about to house them.

I've tried some variety of food and I've found a good response with the conventional ways to feed roaches (based on dog-cat food and veggies)... I'll consider all your recommendations about the enclosure.

Thank you very much again and I will keep you informed of any event. ;-) 

Ah well, I was hoping some of these had finally made their way to the US, I'll just have to keep waiting then. :P Your English is great by the way. :)

Cool, I had heard this species makes a rattling noise when disturbed, sort of like Gromphadorhina

Nice, glad they are eating! I really hope these do well for you, would love for someone to breed these in captivity!

• Like 1