"duh" advice, and a question about substrate

Premoistened ecoearth - close the container or cats pee in it.   

Now the question - does anyone put water crystals in their substrate so it holds moisture better?  I feel like I contantly have to spray my substrate to have it moist, and that the  Eublaberus  species hang out in their water crystal dish.

• Like 1

I think in the soil is where they were designed to go for potted plants so should be fine. I stoped using water crystals with my eublaberus spieces cause all they do is get it dirty they didn't seem to be actually drinking it. My lateralis ate the crystals....I figured that can't be healthy lol

I've actually never heard of anyone putting water crystals in with their substrate, I have a feeling that won't do much to hold moisture in though. If you are having to spray them more that once every couple days to keep the substrate moist, I'd consider lowering the ventilation to keep the humidity in.

If you look at at home depot or Walmart you can find water crystals in the garden center with a picture and instructions on how to use them in potted plants. They were not intended to provide water for fauna but its now commonly used for that purpose. I personally don't use them much but I keep it around as a back up for when I go out of town and stuff. I look forward to hearing if it helps hold in moisture in the bin. :)

17 minutes ago, lovebugfarm said:

If you look at at home depot or Walmart you can find water crystals in the garden center with a picture and instructions on how to use them in potted plants. They were not intended to provide water for fauna but its now commonly used for that purpose. I personally don't use them much but I keep it around as a back up for when I go out of town and stuff. I look forward to hearing if it helps hold in moisture in the bin. :)

yeah that's what I have.  

33 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I've actually never heard of anyone putting water crystals in with their substrate, I have a feeling that won't do much to hold moisture in though. If you are having to spray them more that once every couple days to keep the substrate moist, I'd consider lowering the ventilation to keep the humidity in.

I didn't add any ventilation, it's the 3 drawer units.  No added holes or anything, just the gap from each drawer to the next and to the top.

30 minutes ago, KatsKreations said:

yeah that's what I have.  

I didn't add any ventilation, it's the 3 drawer units.  No added holes or anything, just the gap from each drawer to the next and to the top.

Huh, well then maybe try pouring water into the substrate rather than spraying it, so it really soaks into the substrate. Or try using those water crystals and see if they help retain humidity. :)

I keep my Eublaberus serranus in a sterilite tub with small whole drilled in the center over the lid. The coconut fiber only needs moistened once a week or so. They do quite well.