Roach behavior question.

Are some roaches generally happier in small/large "family" groups composing of roaches of different ages rather than all similarly aged animals?

I ask because after adding an adult American roach into the enclosure (I caught the thing in the house) ALL the nymphs immediately changed there behavior, where once they were nervous and skittish, they became more relaxed and adventurous as the presumably starving adult ate an entire piece of kibble. (Even the Australian roach was more relaxed)

IMG_20170605_194419.jpg

On an unrelated note, watching the adults abdomen swell up with food was pretty cool. It's rather massive now.

IMG_20170605_194748.jpg

In general, most species of roaches are social, so the more the merrier. That could be why your nymphs calmed down once you added the adult to the enclosure. 

• Like 1

I find these guys around town sometimes and normally they will all run back to holes in walls. I saw one hole in a cinder block wall with thousands packed tightly together their antenna moving like grass in the wind. If your looking to find some try the walls they put around dumpsters It wont take long to find them half the dumpsters in Austin have a colony near by.

5 hours ago, hymenopus said:

I want a Periplaneta, do you know where to buy?

Roach Crossing may have them?

http://www.roachcrossing.com/for-sale/roach/all/australian-roach/

http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Australian-Roach-bic252.htm

If you're going to buy at least buy periplaneta australasiae it's prettier than a majority of others and depending on your location, not as common....

Damn quote system.

True, but I don't know where the person who actually wants to buy a Periplaneta is located....

5 minutes ago, lovebugfarm said:

Periplaneta fuliginosa are kinda interesting to there are quite a few in my are

5 minutes ago, lovebugfarm said:

Periplaneta fuliginosa are kinda interesting to there are quite a few in my area.

6 hours ago, hymenopus said:

Yeah I was more saying in the I don't keep them in my collection but I have seen them in person kinda way. I might keep that genus one day for their fast reproductive qualities but have to develop a highly escape proof rearing method. We are currently dealing with a Blattella germanica infestation and if I brought home a pest species my wife might kill me lol

3 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

If you're going to buy at least buy periplaneta australasiae it's prettier than a majority of others and depending on your location, not as common....

IDK, the white eyed P.americana are really cool looking too, and apparently may actually be blind! :o Not that that affects them much.

@Cariblatta lutea also has some cool Periplaneta japonica, don't know if he's got any for sale or not.

17 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

You know what? Egg butt.

Haha, congrats man, you'll probably have tons of them in no time! :D