Questions about keeping/breeding red runners

Gizalba

Hi,

I am new here. For about a month so far I have been keeping red runners as feeders for my tarantulas. Despite them being feeders, I am still interested in the roaches welfare and the way to keep them happiest while they are alive. I have quite a few questions based on seeing all sorts of different methods on youtube etc and getting confused.

1. I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed them potatoes, but it didn't say why. Is this true and if so why? 

2. Bedding-wise, I have so far been keeping them on coco-fibre, but I figured this is harder to keep clean and also harder to spot if any nymphs have emerged. Is there any downside to their quality of life if I just keep them on egg boxes/toilet roll tubes in the plastic box? 

3. What humidity level is best for them? I have seen people saying to keep them dry but then others saying they need to be moist especially for the oothecas hatching? 

4. Do you need to take the oothecas out and put them separately in a damp container for them to hatch, or can I just leave them in with the cockroaches? 

5. I often see, once they have gone wild breeding, 1000s of cockroaches kept in very crowded containers. Is over-crowding an issue for them? I mean, do they like it crowded or would they rather have some space? lol. 

Thanks if anyone can answer! 

1.  I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard the green layer under the skin of the potato is toxic.

2. I doubt you would have any problems but you might want a container full pf damp eco earth or sphagnum for them to lay oothecas on and for hydration.

3. I can't really answer this I keep mine on eco earth that i keep damp on 1 end.

4. You can leave them in the colony if there is enough moisture. If there's not enough moisture they'll be eaten so then you'll have to move  them.

5. just keep an eye on them eventually you may need to split your colony or cull some if it gets to crowded. but they don't seem to mind some crowding.

look at How do I breed Red Runners (Shelfordella lateralis) if you haven't already it might help and I hope they do well for you.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 5:57 PM, Randomjoe said:

1.  I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard the green layer under the skin of the potato is toxic.

2. I doubt you would have any problems but you might want a container full pf damp eco earth or sphagnum for them to lay oothecas on and for hydration.

3. I can't really answer this I keep mine on eco earth that i keep damp on 1 end.

4. You can leave them in the colony if there is enough moisture. If there's not enough moisture they'll be eaten so then you'll have to move  them.

5. just keep an eye on them eventually you may need to split your colony or cull some if it gets to crowded. but they don't seem to mind some crowding.

look at How do I breed Red Runners (Shelfordella lateralis) if you haven't already it might help and I hope they do well for you.

Thanks so much for the replies and link to the breeding post! :) 

• 1 year later...

I think I'll try placing a container of coco coir inside the roach tub for the red runners I'm expecting soon instead of covering the bottom of the enclosure.