Male blaptica dubia with extremely abnormal behavior and organ prolapse after mating (with eachother)

that_bug_girl

So, two of my adult male blaptica dubia seemed so be really close and touching each other last night. this lead to mating, but now one is acting completely fine, but seems to be experiencing some minor organ prolapse. the other, is acting very abnormal, such as standing on his hind legs and just standing there still, raising his arms up like a praying mantis. when I put my finger near him he starts waving his arms like mad. when I pick him up he beats his wings incessantly but has much difficulty walking at all. he also seems to be experiencing much more severe prolapse, with nearly all his internal genitalia pushed out, however, when I lightly touch it, he is able to pull it back in, where as the other cannot. I have them separated now, and I am sure there is not much that can be done, but any and all advice would be very helpful and very much appreciated. thank you.

both are still alive, but one is in really rough shape. just lying on his back moving his limbs in slow or jerking movements. I know it looks like he was poisoned, but I never introduced anything new into the enclosure and none of the others are acting sick. please help.

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 7:37 PM, that_bug_girl said:

both are still alive, but one is in really rough shape. just lying on his back moving his limbs in slow or jerking movements. I know it looks like he was poisoned, but I never introduced anything new into the enclosure and none of the others are acting sick. please help.

Did you ever find out what happened? I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot and I can’t figure it out. What ended up happening with your roaches? :0

• 4 weeks later...

oh goodness. I took a little vacation from this forum because I am not at a point in my life where I need to be building new or current colonies and I didn't want to temp myself, as this Is really a passion for me. hopefully soon I can get everything in place and continue on with my insect obsession. But as for my male dubias, one slowly crippled until he looked dead but stayed alive for many days. I would hand feed bits of moist mushy food to him but he eventually passed. it was a relief as I hated to see him suffer. normally I bury my bigger roaches, but he was small enough to feed to my leopard gecko. the other is still alive,living normally,  however the genitalia that was exposed has since turned black and hard. So, safe to assume he isn't able to reproduce.