Sign in to follow this  
George

What DOES eat hissers? (Population control)

I got 7 hissers at the beginning of January. If I'm counting/observing correctly, they've since had 4 broods of nymphs. I sold 20 to a kid from craigslist yesterday, but at this rate I'm still going to have a serious population issue in a few months if I'm not proactive. I'm removing the under-tank heater to slow them down a little bit.

My plan was to get a carnivorous insect or two, or perhaps a bearded dragon, to help manage the population. According to this thread, they're too tough for most critters to eat. I don't particularly want a lizard big enough to get into fights with my cat.

Are nymphs/juveniles too tough? I feel like the right hungry mouths could take care of most of them before they reach adulthood. Stray adults seem like they might be easier to pass to someone else than toilet paper tubes full of scuttling legs, like I sold yesterday. That may be more of a niche market.

What options do I have for population control if they don't make good feeders for anything besides tegus or monitors?

When they are freshly molted, the animals are squishy, white, and thus more chewable. I imagine most predators would easily handle young nymphs, whether freshly molted or not

The smaller ones are not that tough. When my beardie was small she ate copious amounts of the babies, I don't feed the adults to her though as they don't reproduce that fast. I recently got some assassin bugs and I'm going to see if the will take to the smaller ones too. 

As part of a varied diet, I've fed Hisser nymphs to:

Red Eared Slider Turtles, Northern Red-Bellied Turtles, Mississippi Map Turtles, Leopard Geckos, Centipedes, African Water Scorpions, Tarantulas, Assassins, Large Goldfish and (I think) Hamsters.  Maybe a few others over the years, but I don't currently recall.  :)

Good Luck!

(PS, you could always separate Male and Female Hissers before they have the chance to breed.)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this