Identifying isopods?

Bianca m

I've been collecting roly polys recently. These two are my favorite, one is a white yellowish color some spots. The other is thin, flat like, spikey edges and yellow spots (seems more skittish than other types).  I live in michigan

I'm going to guess A. vulgare and Porcellio spinicornis. Mostly in Michigan you're going to see Porcellio scaber and Armadillidium vulgare but A. nasastum, Oniscus, and Porcellionides aren't too rare. Armadillidium roll into balls. These are all European adventives, you won't find much else.

It sounds like you may have Porcellio spinicornis and Oniscus asellus by your descriptions. Bugguide is a great resource for identifying different bugs in case you'd like to try it out for any future species you may find.  iNaturalist is also very useful, although it occasionally does get things wrong.

1 hour ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I'm going to guess A. vulgare and Porcellio spinicornis. Mostly in Michigan you're going to see Porcellio scaber and Armadillidium vulgare but A. nasastum, Oniscus, and Porcellionides aren't too rare. Armadillidium roll into balls. These are all European adventives, you won't find much else.

So I figured out what the white one was. I thought it was a dairy cow but it's a magic potion! Don't know the scientific names sorry lol!! I'm just getting into isopods. But the porcellio scaber for sure the other ones possibly as well!

1 hour ago, All About Arthropods said:

It sounds like you may have Porcellio spinicornis and Oniscus asellus by your descriptions. Bugguide is a great resource for identifying different bugs in case you'd like to try it out for any future species you may find.  iNaturalist is also very useful, although it occasionally does get things wrong.

I will definitely look into those thank you so much, I've been having a hard time finding ways to ID them so it'll help! Yes the porcellio spinicornis is the one I really like. The white one I mentioned is actually a magic potion isopod. Really cool

1 hour ago, Bianca m said:

I will definitely look into those thank you so much, I've been having a hard time finding ways to ID them so it'll help! Yes the porcellio spinicornis is the one I really like. The white one I mentioned is actually a magic potion isopod. Really cool

No problem! Are you talking about captive bred isopods that someone sent you or ones that you found in the wild? The identification resources I mentioned will only be useful for wild isopods unfortunately.