Millipedes & roaches

Hello all :)

There is a project I have been interested in trying for some time now: A communal enclosure of African Giant Black millipedes (Archispirostreptus gigas) & Giant Cave Roaches (Blaberus giganteus).

I know a few people (including my gf :D ) who keep AGBs with G. portentosa and have had no problems. I am more interested in keeping the B. giganteus with the pedes. Before anyone goes off on me, I am aware that mixed-species tanks are generally frowned upon, and that there is no good reason to do it. Personally I think it could make a beautiful display tank, and to the best of my knowledge the care requirements for each species are quite similar. I am here to get input on the idea and see if there is some major problem in attempting this enclosure.

I have three AGBs and approx. 25 roaches, mostly nymphs with a few adults. The tank I have in mind is 24"Lx12"Wx16"H. I am thinking of about 7" of substrate on the deep end, tapering to about 4" on the shallow side. Substrate would be peat moss with oak leaves & aspen shavings mixed throughout. Lots of hides, driftwood, and cork bark. A layer of oak leaf litter scattered over top. Tall slabs of cork bark for the roaches as height is important for B. giganteus, correct? Essentially I expect the millipedes to burrow down deep, as millipedes do, and the roaches to stay up top, making more use of the hides. I realize the nymphs will burrow to some degree but will they burrow to the depth that the pedes will?

Am I an idiot for thinking about this? Are B. giganteus more inclined to mess with the pedes than G. portentosa, who seem utterly indifferent in the enclosures I've seen? In all honesty I expect the pedes will stay underground and the roaches will stay up top, is this a safe assumption? Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions about this idea? I also have G. portentosa and B. discoidalis, would either of these be better suited for this? Is this a horrible idea? Am I banned? :unsure:

Any & all input is appreciated. Thank you. :)

There's a guy from the local botanical garden who had a 30-40 gallon tank with a few adults and a ton of C.B. immatures AGBs (older ones from 3-6 inches) and a ton of Blaberus fusca. The millipedes were in there a few years before the roaches were added. As long as you keep the population in check you can have a very nice community tank. They did well together for a year or two but with time the Blaberus became too numerous and started causing trouble.

I have a single, 11 inch long AGB sharing a 10 gallon tank with 35 G. portentosa. They have been together for about a year now with no problems seen. In fact, the AGB spends a fair amount of time coiled up under the egg cartoon roach house! I often wonder if the AGB has the roaches as pets :P !

I have a single, 11 inch long AGB sharing a 10 gallon tank with 35 G. portentosa. They have been together for about a year now with no problems seen. In fact, the AGB spends a fair amount of time coiled up under the egg cartoon roach house! I often wonder if the AGB has the roaches as pets :P !

Thanks for the input so far. :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on B. giganteus for use in this project? Can they be expected to behave more or less like hissers, leaving the pedes alone?

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a couple of weeks now and the three A. gigas are getting along just fine with the twenty or so B. giganteus. Haven't noticed any conflict, everyone pretty much just keeps to themselves. Figured you guys might enjoy a couple of pictures. :)

rnew006rh8.th.jpg

rnew007xh7.th.jpg

Hello all :)

There is a project I have been interested in trying for some time now: A communal enclosure of African Giant Black millipedes (Archispirostreptus gigas) & Giant Cave Roaches (Blaberus giganteus).

I know a few people (including my gf :D ) who keep AGBs with G. portentosa and have had no problems. I am more interested in keeping the B. giganteus with the pedes. Before anyone goes off on me, I am aware that mixed-species tanks are generally frowned upon, and that there is no good reason to do it. Personally I think it could make a beautiful display tank, and to the best of my knowledge the care requirements for each species are quite similar. I am here to get input on the idea and see if there is some major problem in attempting this enclosure.

I have three AGBs and approx. 25 roaches, mostly nymphs with a few adults. The tank I have in mind is 24"Lx12"Wx16"H. I am thinking of about 7" of substrate on the deep end, tapering to about 4" on the shallow side. Substrate would be peat moss with oak leaves & aspen shavings mixed throughout. Lots of hides, driftwood, and cork bark. A layer of oak leaf litter scattered over top. Tall slabs of cork bark for the roaches as height is important for B. giganteus, correct? Essentially I expect the millipedes to burrow down deep, as millipedes do, and the roaches to stay up top, making more use of the hides. I realize the nymphs will burrow to some degree but will they burrow to the depth that the pedes will?

Am I an idiot for thinking about this? Are B. giganteus more inclined to mess with the pedes than G. portentosa, who seem utterly indifferent in the enclosures I've seen? In all honesty I expect the pedes will stay underground and the roaches will stay up top, is this a safe assumption? Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions about this idea? I also have G. portentosa and B. discoidalis, would either of these be better suited for this? Is this a horrible idea? Am I banned? :unsure:

Any & all input is appreciated. Thank you. :)

Hi Maxident. I don't see the problem. I have these cockroaches with pepper cockroaches and just last night I decided to put my millipedes in with them. Don't worry about it and have fun. It will look beautiful. I have my tank on the coffee table in the livingroom. Strange for most people but I think it is interesting to look at. Worst comes to worst you can remove the millipedes, but I don't think that will happen. Bye.

Kerri

A couple of years back there was someone on Petbugs that told me she tried mixing an african giant and hissers and she wound up with a totally legless 'pede since the roaches nibbled them off. Of course she could of had an improper environment or feeding, old/weak 'pede, there's a lot of variables I suppose; but, I thought I'd at least give you a warning. Who knows, it is possible that it could have died and then the hisser's un-peded him.

Thanks for the warning, I will be sure to count the legs on my pedes. ;)

So far, so good, they are co-existing peacefully. It would be a great display tank, if everybody didn't hide under the oak leaves 99% of the time. :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...