Pseudoglomeris aerea "Yunnan" (Mirror Spot Roach)

This is one of the temperate China Pseudoglomeris spp., and the common name refers to the silvery/black, slightly reflective spots going down the sides of the abdomens on nymphs and females. Most of the Pseudoglomeris from these temperate and mountainous areas of China require a temperature drop (diapause) in the winter to survive for more than a generation in captivity, and some species don't even like Summer temps much above 75-78F°. Species like P.beybeinkoi, P.magnifica "Chinese Copper", and P.angustifolia all fall under this category, to name a few. Failure to provide them these cooler temps and diapause will usually result in the colonies dying within a generation or two. If the conditions are met though, these are actually fairly simple to keep roaches, with general husbandry requirements being similar to the commonly kept Pseudoglomeris magnifica "Cuc Phuong National Park, Vietnam" strain or P.tarsalis.

Now, these roaches have a base coloration of black (except for males, which have brown wings), but they are normally covered in silver and green hairs and have a copper/green metallic iridescence to them. However, my females are denuded, from shipping perhaps, and have lost a lot of their hairs. And my camera sucks at getting pictures of species with metallic coloration... So trust me when I say they look a lot better in person! 😅

Adult female (natural lighting)

Pseudoglomerisaerea%236.JPG

Pseudoglomerisaerea%235.JPG

Adult female (flash)

Pseudoglomerisaerea%231.JPG

Pseudoglomerisaerea%232.JPG

Pseudoglomerisaerea%2318.JPG

Adult male

Pseudoglomerisaerea%237.JPG

Pseudoglomerisaerea%2328.JPG

Pseudoglomerisaerea%2323.JPG

Pair:

Pseudoglomerisaerea%2311.JPG

Thanks to @Martin for these and lots of other neat roaches, looking forward to hopefully establishing them in the US hobby! 😁

• Like 2

• Hisserdude changed the title to Pseudoglomeris aerea "Yunnan" (Mirror Spot Roach)

Hope to see your next generation fully haired :) showing up soon!!

great to see them doing well under your attentive care, and always a pleasure to learn from you on the intricacies of this amazing genus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin said:

Hope to see your next generation fully haired :) showing up soon!!

great to see them doing well under your attentive care, and always a pleasure to learn from you on the intricacies of this amazing genus.

Thanks, so far the small nymphs are growing well and look quite hairy. 😁 Hopefully one of these females gives birth soon too... 🤞

• 3 months later...

My nymphs are doing well and developing their little reflective "Mirror Spots" now (which of course come out black on camera... 😑), snapped some pics of them last week:

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4861.JPG

• Like 1