Macropanesthia Housing

kadupul

I've got a pair of rhinos coming in the mail and I've got some temporary housing, but I'd love to get some input on something a bit more permanent. I found this online, does it look alright?

I'd also like to know how you guys feel about keeping wet sphagnum in the enclosure, whether it's mixed into the substrate or kept in the corner like isopod keepers do. Is the acidity bad for their exoskeletons?

I got my buds yesterday! 😁

I've got them in a little clear shoe box in 1/2 coconut fiber. Is that an okay depth? I'm not sure if the molting issues occur because they actually get squashed by the substrate, or if it's just the substrate touching them while they're still soft and fragile that causes problems.

One of my babies arrived with a deformed plate on their back, the thorax one specifically, that looks like maybe they got a bit nibbled by a sibling or something. Will they molt and be fine? I'm not sure if I should speak to the seller about it or not. 🤔

Thanks!

On 9/30/2022 at 7:23 AM, kadupul said:

I got my buds yesterday! 😁

I've got them in a little clear shoe box in 1/2 coconut fiber. Is that an okay depth? I'm not sure if the molting issues occur because they actually get squashed by the substrate, or if it's just the substrate touching them while they're still soft and fragile that causes problems.

One of my babies arrived with a deformed plate on their back, the thorax one specifically, that looks like maybe they got a bit nibbled by a sibling or something. Will they molt and be fine? I'm not sure if I should speak to the seller about it or not. 🤔

Thanks!

Don't know how big/old yours are, but I put my few months old babies on only a CM of substrate when I first got them, but once they hit the year mark, half an inch of substrate would be fine.

@Hisserdude,

In the link I had posted, he's sitting beside a tape measure in one of the pictures. He's just shy of an inch if you don't count antennas and the female is just a bit bigger than he is.

I asked the seller what their birthdays were, but I don't think that they know. Does anyone have a guess as to how old they are? I realize temperature and feeding will affect growth rate, but the only info I have is that they were born this year.