WARNING

Never put your G. portentosa with your Tiger hissers Gromphadorhina grandidieri (listed in Europe as "Princisia vanwaerbeki black and white", etc.)

Unfortunately it would appear that they can cross.

(It should not be that great a surprise as they have the same male genitalia.)

That's interesting. I hope people don't cross breed them too much. It's kind of a bummer when you get nymphs that turn out to be hybrids like my b. fusca. They're cool anyway but I was hoping for a pure strain of fuscas. :(

I do wonder what the adult hissers would look like though and if you would be able to tell the difference. I've seen people selling G. portentosa as "black and white morph" and just thought they got the species name wrong but maybe not.

I personal don't like the hybrid Blaberus. I just like them pure, not to mention that there are a lot of Blaberus species to choose from already.

I was wondering what is Orin going to do with the nymphs that are coming.

That's interesting. I hope people don't cross breed them too much. It's kind of a bummer when you get nymphs that turn out to be hybrids like my b. fusca. They're cool anyway but I was hoping for a pure strain of fuscas. :(

I do wonder what the adult hissers would look like though and if you would be able to tell the difference. I've seen people selling G. portentosa as "black and white morph" and just thought they got the species name wrong but maybe not.

I've seen people selling G. portentosa as "black and white morph" and just thought they got the species name wrong but maybe not.

Those are just normal G.portentosa with stripes, they don't look like actual tigers and they aren't hybrids, yet.

I was wondering what is Orin going to do with the nymphs that are coming.

I don't like hybrids and I won't let these go anywhere. However it's apparently going to happen again since I did it on accident (I assumed they wouldn't cross and temporarily housed a few together for a few displays). The nymphs don't look that different but here's an adult male. I only have one male and a few females. The male does not have the notch at the front of the pronotum but if there were multiple males some might have it.

post-3-1196971906_thumb.jpg

Those are just normal G.portentosa with stripes, they don't look like actual tigers and they aren't hybrids, yet.

I don't like hybrids and I won't let these go anywhere. However it's apparently going to happen again since I did it on accident (I assumed they wouldn't cross and temporarily housed a few together for a few displays). The nymphs don't look that different but here's an adult male. I only have one male and a few females. The male does not have the notch at the front of the pronotum but if there were multiple males some might have it.

Hybrids can be interesting to look at, however I hope everyone chooses to get and keep pure strains. I would be highly dissapointed to have or discover to have hybrid anything. When it comes to hybrid roaches, just say "NO". ;)

When it comes to hybrid roaches, just say "NO". ;)

glad to hear that most of us have the same opinion on this matter.

by the way, i was wondering... is it true that some species of roaches only need to mate once and then become fertile for a very long time. like they have numberous eggcases or babies before they need to breed again? i noticed that my females Deropeltis paulinoi bred once and laid many eggcases afward without mating inbetween laying time.

glad to hear that most of us have the same opinion on this matter.

by the way, i was wondering... is it true that some species of roaches only need to mate once and then become fertile for a very long time. like they have numberous eggcases or babies before they need to breed again? i noticed that my females Deropeltis paulinoi bred once and laid many eggcases afward without mating inbetween laying time.

Yes, its true. Most/many roaches only need to breed very few times in order to produce viable eggs. I have Deropeltis females that were with a male 6-7 months ago and are still laying ootheca that seem viable... it appears that they eat the ones that are not in my tank of them. D.paulinoi are a very prolific roach under the right circumtances....