How long will a lateralis stay fertile with no male around?

darla

I got an order of lobsters some months back that had 6 female turks and 1 male. The male died about 3 months ago but the females are still dropping oothecaes. I seperated 3 of the females into their own bin. I didn't put a lid on because I figured that they couldn't climb and I was safe from escape. WRONG! One of them is on the loose! How long will she be fertile? I put traps out but any oothecaes, OMGosh how could I be so stupid!

As far as I know it's generally only a problem species indoors in very warm areas and is certainly nowhere near as adapted a pest as B. orientalis. There's a reasonable chance she'll just die. Blatta like damp areas such as stock rooms and basements so you might have even less to worry about if you live in a flat or don't have a basement.

Well I have an old house thats not in great shape. Heater and hot water heater(leaks some). My tub leaks somewhere but to find it we have to demolish part of the kitchen, no funds for that right now. I'm not especially worried about this one roach, but however many babies she will or will not have. And here I was feeling sorry for her! Oh well, it's not the end of the world and I certainly won't loose sleep over it. I will definatley be more careful in the future and these girls are soon to be lunch(not mine). Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

You are never going to guess what the cat dragged in, literally. Yep, she doesn't look like she feels too good, a bit skinnier too. I didn't put her back with the others but put her alone. She wouldn't get off my finger no matter what. I wonder if she was traumatized and saw I was trying to help her. I don't really think this but it's fun to think about it. She has sowed her wild oats and is ready to come home.