Blaberus ID

On a dutch speaking forum some guys and I were discussing the whole craniifer-black wing-hair on the wing- situation. Somebody posted a picture of a roach in his possession. Does anybody know which species? Don't matter about the weird looking wings. He cut off a piece of the wing to place it on the computer scanner in order to identify the presence of hairs. There were no hairs.

Here can you find the picture. The macro picture of the wings is to be found on the previous page.

Hey!

I have the same problem! I have a B. giganteus colony, the females breed many babys a year ago and then, they died. The babyes grew up, but they´re smaller than B. giganteus and now, some weeks ago, I saw one of them with ("soft") black wings recently molted! I put it in another cage and I´m keeping it there. I´ll post some pics but now I´m with my University exams, sorry.

Best regards,

Javier.

Sorry, that roach has no characteristics that would give an idea what species it is, I could only say some species it isn't.

Is there proof somewhere that the only Blaberus with hairs on the wings is craniifer? There are many Blaberus species we don't have in the hobby and I'm not sure every species we do have has been checked. It is an interesting character, I'm just not sure what it means.

Sorry, that roach has no characteristics that would give an idea what species it is, I could only say some species it isn't.

Is there proof somewhere that the only Blaberus with hairs on the wings is craniifer? There are many Blaberus species we don't have in the hobby and I'm not sure every species we do have has been checked. It is an interesting character, I'm just not sure what it means.

As far as I know the name Blaberus craniifer is quickly (mis)used at the dutch speaking forum where I use to hang out. My best guess is that it's probably some hybrid. It is the last of it's kind so there's no more danger for (more) hybridisation. The person who possesses it is a roach enthousiastic, but not so at the level to hunt down new and very rare roaches.

I don't know of any proof that the only Blaberus with hairs on the wings is craniifer. Actually the information about hairs on the wings of cockroaches is known to me for only a couple of days. I leave the hardcore evidence to the scientists.

Look at how evenly the wings taper... Could either be a new species to the hobby or just a genetic mutation. I'm not thinking those were environmentally caused.

Actually the wings were environmentally adapted, with some scissors. A small piece has been cut of the wings so it was possible to get a closer look for the possibility of hairs.