NE US Beetle

LMcLaren

In my house today, Aug 20, I found crawling on the floor a beetle that looks like the Xylotrupes gideon. (I know nothing re rhino beetles, I just found the name and photo on another website) The difference is that I'm in upstate New York, not southeast Asia; and my beetle is only 9 mm long. Does anyone know about rhino beetles in my area?

Thanks.

Guest Guest_LMcLaren_*
That's definately a male dung scarab. It resembles the Onthophagus hecate males I find around here but the thoracic horn is certainly more impressive and X.gideon-like.

Guest Guest_LMcLaren_*
That's definately a male dung scarab. It resembles the Onthophagus hecate males I find around here but the thoracic horn is certainly more impressive and X.gideon-like.

You were right on target! I hadn't thought of dung beetles as I didn't know any had horns. After I read your suggestion I googled dung beetles and found an article from North Carolina State University with photos of beetles in NC. Their Onthophagus hecate looks just like mine! Their site is cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/guidetoncdungbeetles.pdf Thank you for your help!

• 3 years later...