Hisser adolescent behavior

Ralph

My thought-to-be subadult hissers, when I gave them a heat lamp, suddenly began fighting and attempting to mate. They are only about 2 inches long and maybe 1 inch wide. Are they just small adults (I did have some husbandry issues early in their lives), or is this normal for subadults?

2 inches can be right but slightly small. By "attempting to mate" do you mean to say that you saw a male/female attempt to connect, or is it another movement you are describing? The fighting or shoving around is not unusual. True male to male battles on the otherhand will normally only be seen on mature adults.

What kind of "issue" would cause a smaller than average hisser?

Overcrowding will do it to many roach species....

Not enough nutrition combined with cooler temps can have a bearing on it as well.

Thanks guys! The fighting I described was male-male, and consisted of headbutting, abdomen-wagging, and attempted biting. There was one interesting male-female battle. By attempted mating, I mean attempted mating as in genital contact. So far I have no actual mating. I'm glad that they are adults, these guys' babies should be bigger.

• 1 month later...

I've found temperature to greatly influence female development.

For a while I kept my hissers in my basement; They developed slowly. When I finally moved them back upstairs, I had MEGA females; All pushing or over 3". This could also do with that fact that I cull for the biggest males in my colonies...