Methylene blue

1 part 1 part methylene blue (its used in Boreal media as a mold inhibitor to prevent mold developing)

Methylene blue is a food safe additive that should be available at almost every well stocked fish & reptile store, if not it can be ordered online. (its used in Boreal media as a mold inhibitor to prevent mold developing)

Methylene blue is a food safe additive that should be available at almost every well stocked fish & reptile store, if not it can be ordered online

Was reading about culturing springtails and came across this idea. Has anyone tried this in there roach cultures? I've stopped heating the oak wood and leaves I collect. Find all kinds of interesting animals this way Parcoblatta zebra,scorpions,springtails,etc. My new method is to take the substrate put it in a large sealed sweaterbox and check on it for a few days. Most of the larger predators will be easy to find although an occasional spider will sneak into a tank,we all need to eat ;) One of my cultures has Pseudoscorpions,wild crickets(not sure yet)springtails,parcoblatta zebra, daddy long legs its a mini ecosystem all started from a piece of wood that I found in the swamp.

So that pretty cool, but what are can you do with the methylene blue? Is it something you mix into the substrate or spray over a colony and food? I'm curious because I have some heavy mold issues in my completely sealed tanks that Isopods, springtails, and grain mites only do so much for. It's always the dogwood too, rarely anythig else. Do you think treatig it with that would work without harming my roaches?

You should try and post some shots of this mini ecosystem you have there too. I have a small tank like that with about 10+ different species, all local to my woods and very nifty to have.

Was curious if people had experimented with methylene blue. This is a product used with amphibians and aquaculture to treat fungal problems. Its being used in some springtail cultures already thats were I came across the idea. Always looking for ideas to cut back on cleaning tanks. Ants are my main problem :angry: Have 2 containers that get some mold and mites. Mites drive me crazy! Going to experiment doubt it will hurt, going to add some methylene blue to a culture and see what happens. Post my results. The fact that this product helps amphibians recover from fungal infections is a good indicator that it wouldnt hurt the roaches. Hopefully someone has already tried it thatll let me know.

It will be an interesting experiment. I know methylene blue is also used by aquarists for the control of both Ichthyophthirius and Cryptocaryon, common protozoal parasites affecting fish. My only concern would be if its ingested, the beneficial protozoans and bacterial symbionts thriving inside the roach's alimentary tract might be adversely affected.

My only concern would be if its ingested, the beneficial protozoans and bacterial symbionts thriving inside the roach's alimentary tract might be adversely affected.Agreed!! One of my major concerns. Mainly hoping this works for my more confined species. Going to start a separate culture and experiment don't want to risk crashing any of my species cultures.

So that pretty cool, but what are can you do with the methylene blue? Is it something you mix into the substrate or spray over a colony and food? I'm curious because I have some heavy mold issues in my completely sealed tanks that Isopods, springtails, and grain mites only do so much for. It's always the dogwood too, rarely anythig else. Do you think treatig it with that would work without harming my roaches?

You should try and post some shots of this mini ecosystem you have there too. I have a small tank like that with about 10+ different species, all local to my woods and very nifty to have.

Still learning how to get good pics Zephyr gave me some pointers. Think this would be an additive to the substrate or used as spray. Isopods and springtails are fine but I can do without grain mites. They get disposed of or hunted by predator mites.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I've seen the The L Word DVD entire series at least 6 times or more. I buy a lot of series, but this is the best I've ever bought. I am completely worn out sheets, since I bought the series individually. The Big Bang Theory DVD So now I have to buy a whole bunch of compression. There are many causes and issues in this case, in addition to what you would have seen other programs or news, and I think that is a part of it is simply wonderful. Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD You fall in love with characters and I hope someone out there would be another program just as strong and deep as this Series L Word is life, love and friendships with a group of lesbians living in Los Angeles. Cold Case DVD The love scenes are not just hot, they sizzle. Most lesbians love scenes are occupied by women think it is good and evil, and sometimes seem downright painful. Not here! Kissing, touching and simulated sex is absolutely erotic. Shane, who is known for his promiscuity, steam up the screen with his seduction of a wide range of women. It could be that way because they leave open the series for a suite. Weeds DVD The series focuses on a number of serious issues affecting homosexuals leave, adoption and gay parenting, parents, gays in the military and we urge end ring woman for man. It also makes a point of view of lesbians on issues common to us all: love, relationships, monogamy, promiscuity, breast cancer, and discrimination at work.

What does this have to do with anything? Jeez. :angry: