Trying to make hisser hybrids

I want to make hybrids (because they will have more colors, more shapes, etc...).

Can Princisia vanwaerebeki, G. Portentosa, Aeluropoda insignis hybridize between them ?

Or is this a "hybrid nigthmare" ?

$(KGrHqJHJFUE-k8ohRKkBPt4gveEgg~~60_58.JPG

Princisia vanwaerebeki

Pronotumcomparisonofsix.jpg

I'm such a nazi about keeping mine seperated ....have yet to consider hybridization ......

If you're a nazi 'coz you keep your diferent species separeted, then I'm hitler himself... funny for an antifa like me héhé!

I think it's not possible with Aeluropoda but the others are easy to hybridise (mosts of the population we breed in Europe are hybrids) ;)

I'm such a nazi about keeping mine seperated ....have yet to consider hybridization ......

You could choose a few roach of each species (males from one species and females from other one) and put them in one tank.

Who knows what could happen...MAYBE A POKEMON WOULD APPEAR :blink:

Trying to mix the all the colony would be terrible.

The first and last won't hybridize but the middle four could be considered geographic varieties of the same species. Hybrids of the varieties will display muted and ugly colors, they're not going to throw something neat.

I'm going to prove that last sentence wrong, there is always exceptions to every rule. :) not only that but besides color gigantism is also possible.

I'm going to prove that last sentence wrong, there is always exceptions to every rule. :) not only that but besides color gigantism is also possible.

I've seen easily 1,000+ hybrids of the four different "species" listed and my opinion is that the coloration is rarely as nice as the pure stocks and is often much uglier. Also, they never grow larger than their respective source stock. While color may be a subjective quality, size is not.

RaZias - the photo you grabbed out of that topic is actually of an adult Alueropoda. No hybridizing needed to get that color and pattern! I have them as well and I highly recommend them - they are a gorgeous roach and that deep shiny mahogany color is striking in person. So are their extra-long antenna. :)

My first roaches are reported to be hybrids - I never did receive confirmation of which species since I got through a pet ship who got them from another breeder, but we think they're G. Portentosa x G. Oblongonota.

They are HUGE. I really do have to dig through there to find the second brood that should be adults now to measure them against the "giant" G. Oblongonota that I have, but judging by the ones I've seen on the glass after the lights go out I'm pretty sure the hybrids are longer, wider, and heavier. They're not fast breeders though and the nymphs are often still born or suffer deformities while growing. I don't have nearly as many in there as I should, at least compared to the other species I keep.

I'll get new pictures and post later, but they're normal looking. No great colors, mostly muted browns and black. Hit them with a flash and there is a lot of red in there, but it doesn't show under normal lighting. Their heft is the most interesting thing about them. Personally, I think they very much resemble Prinsicia - I had one lone P. vanwaerebecki female that was left alone after her three tankmates died, and after a while I realized I wasn't going to be getting her new friends anytime soon so I tossed her in with my hybrids. She looked just like them, only smaller.

The biggest problem for me having hybrids is what do I do with them once I have too many? Would it be ethical to sell them? Should I only find someone who will use them fodder for something? Could I offer them as cool giant pets to someone who might be interested and might not really be into raoches? Should I ever sell them to someone else who plans to breed them? You don't want them getting loose into the community and being sold as a pure strain of something, as then it could potentially ruin a whole portion of a captive species. But at the same time, at some point soon I'm going to have too many for my 30 gallon (I can't stand overcrowding) and then it's sort of - what then? Not a fun worry to have!

My first roaches are reported to be hybrids - I never did receive confirmation of which species since I got through a pet ship who got them from another breeder, but we think they're G. Portentosa x G. Oblongonota.

If those are the ones I've seen it's actually a combination of G. oblongonota, G. portentosa, and "Princisia v. big."

• 1 year later...

I've seen the topic of hybrids rear its ugly head several times recently. I have no desire to create hybrids. My G. portentosa are from a colony at Michigan State University (anyone else have ones from this source?)- but aside from that, I have no idea of the purity of this line.

Assuming I needed new blood, how would I do this without risking contamination? I don't need to do so right now, as the lady I got them from is still in the area, so I could get some from her (same source, so if contaminated before, I'm not making things worse)

Also, I heard from a student that her cousin has hissers. If I manage to get some nymphs from her, is there really any way to know whether I should mix them in with my current colony? It sure sounds like morphological characters characters are not a good way to judge them!