Exotic Roaches in Florida

Edit:

Pycnoscelus surinamensis, Nauphoeta cineria, Periplaneta, Panchlora nivea, Ischnoptera bilunata, Blattella, Luridiblatta . There has to be many more I think.

Edited by happy1892

There is a lot.....too many and some are in highly isolated areas. In Tampa I collected Nauphoeta cineria in a community park they have been there so long my friend called them Tampa roaches. In Broward county I spoke with a pest control guy and he said there was huge roaches in a lot alongside a canal along some town houses...turned out to be dubia -_- ... And in little Haiti, little Havana, there are blaberus and more.

Just think Florida is a hub and it has been one for a longgg time fruits, tropical trees, a giant for live and dead animal imports..Wayy back then trees were brought in soil from their native land and there was no problem. And there is a list of almost everything ever recorded in FL Its on either the USDA or some other agency hahaha there's monkeys in Siversprings, giant rats in grassy key, and capybaras in Union City.

And the” invasions” of exotic animals is OUR FAULT as humans the most destructive exotic animals of all time. those reptiles, mammals, and inverts did not want to be stuffed in bag, box, or suitcase. I don’t mean to sound rude but there is no invasion of exotic animal’s there is greedy and carless importers “python, varanus, iguana, basaliks, calotes, chameleons” Scientist’s whom made a honest mistake “killer bees,water hyacinth,fish” and honest kink hearted people from other countries and islands who brought back animals and plants that reminded them of their home country “Anoles,birds,fish,”. All in all our fault and I take ownership to the problem we have caused. So just like we know not to let our cat out because they are not native and they will kill everything we should not allow any of our legless, four, six, eight, hundred legged captives leave our residency alive unless they are going to a new owner.

Please don’t read this in a rude connotation I am bad at sounding nice over the internet.

• 3 months later...

Years ago outside of Hog town herpetological in Gainesville Florida there were these roaches that looked about the size of Germans. They would fly at your mouth and bite you around your lips when you turned over a board. They hurt !! We called them Cubans back then but I don't know what they were or if they are still there.

theze=4]There is a lot.....too many and some are in highly isolated areas. In Tampa I collected Nauphoeta cineria in a community park they have been there so long my friend called them Tampa roaches. In Broward county I spoke with a pest control guy and he said there was huge roaches in a lot alongside a canal along some town houses...turned out to be dubia -_- ... And in little Haiti, little Havana, there are blaberus and more.

Just think Florida is a hub and it has been one for a longgg time fruits, tropical trees, a giant for live and dead animal imports..Wayy back then trees were brought in soil from their native land and there was no problem. And there is a list of almost everything ever recorded in FL Its on either the USDA or some other agency hahaha there's monkeys in Siversprings, giant rats in grassy key, and capybaras in Union City.

And the” invasions” of exotic animals is OUR FAULT as humans the most destructive exotic animals of all time. those reptiles, mammals, and inverts did not want to be stuffed in bag, box, or suitcase. I don’t mean to sound rude but there is no invasion of exotic animal’s there is greedy and carless importers “python, varanus, iguana, basaliks, calotes, chameleons” Scientist’s whom made a honest mistake “killer bees,water hyacinth,fish” and honest kink hearted people from other countries and islands who brought back animals and plants that reminded them of their home country “Anoles,birds,fish,”. All in all our fault and I take ownership to the problem we have caused. So just like we know not to let our cat out because they are not native and they will kill everything we should not allow any of our legless, four, six, eight, hundred legged captives leave our residency alive unless they are going to a new owner.

Please don’t read this in a rude connotation I am bad at sounding nice over the internet.

While there are some good points here, this is the natural process. Animals have been finding ways to places they don't "belong" and thriving and outcompeting local fauna or failing miserably since the beginning. The Galapagos islands are great examples of this. We have been the vecter used by many species of plant and animals to extend distribution. It sucks to loose species, genes, localities, etc. But it is the way of things, survival of the fittest. We humans are nature, the concept that we are some how outside nature is silly. being consious of our effect on the world around us is of coarse still important.

The European invasion definitely has an asshole factor for sure. But an population expanding and seeking resources is natural. Also a population consuming more than can be provided that eventually leading to there own extinction is a natural process as well.

If I kept writing it would be a novel with a sequel.

animals moving and populating new places is normal and peoples constant desire to think of themselves as outside the natural work is an odd concept when you think about it, I guess was my point.

Years ago outside of Hog town herpetological in Gainesville Florida there were these roaches that looked about the size of Germans. They would fly at your mouth and bite you around your lips when you turned over a board. They hurt !! We called them Cubans back then but I don't know what they were or if they are still there.

They sound like Asian roaches but the behavior is way off....maybe they are a type of fly we have some mean ones.

While there are some good points here, this is the natural process. Animals have been finding ways to places they don't "belong" and thriving and outcompeting local fauna or failing miserably since the beginning. The Galapagos islands are great examples of this. We have been the vecter used by many species of plant and animals to extend distribution. It sucks to loose species, genes, localities, etc. But it is the way of things, survival of the fittest. We humans are nature, the concept that we are some how outside nature is silly. being consious of our effect on the world around us is of coarse still important.

Thesavageprojects

good post...I forget we are still a part of natural life and we are no different.

Panchlora nivea I think a called Cuban Roaches.

You're right but people make up names for everything and again the behavior is inconsistent. German roaches are brave"not that brave though" and will eat dead skin but do not fly.

That's why I think it may be a fly or a sucking bug of some sort.

P. Nivea are not that common to find a group in the wild is rare....on a side note the nivea in captive colonies compared to the wild fl type are a little different longer wings and wider body....anyways I have never been pestered by nivea while out in the hammocks or glades, sand hills, swamps. Lots of horse and deer flys oh and don't forget mosquitos.

If johningorgia wants to elaborate more on the local I would be happy to drive 6-7 hours north to find a lip bitting roach....

• 3 weeks later...

The locale for the biting cockroaches was south Gainesville Florida. I was running around Orlando two weeks ago at night and I did not see any roaches except fairly large "American" cockroaches. I did see 4 types of tree frogs, mediteranian geckos and two anole species.All were exotic except for green and squirrel tree frogs but I guess you would say this is off topic.All were at Disneys Wide World of Sports resort. Oh yea there were some darn big katydids. If I would have found any exotic roaches, they might have come home with me

John when I can I will take a trip up there....maybe in the spring it's gotten cold down here in SFL 71 degrees time for a jacket!!

Can only imagine how cold it is up there.

LOL. It is a lot colder here in NC. Are you joking that it is cold?

Happy1892...I hate the cold!! I have only lived in South Fl and don't know better.

It has gotten very cold here in south Fl 25-30 and the locals freak out and all the space heaters sell out and the news warns you for frostbite lol. 71 degrees calls for jeans and a leather jacket with a chance to say hey winter has started!!

I have driven from Miami to Greenville SC "13 hour drive" in November it was insane to feel how the temps change.

We humans are nature, the concept that we are some how outside nature is silly. being consious of our effect on the world around us is of coarse still important.

This might be the best thing I've ever read. :D My thoughts exactly.