What species and proper care?

Hi I'm new to roaches. I bought some nymphs online, not knowing exactly what they were. They are very big. I've had them for about 3 months and for about a month and a half I've cared for them like my dubia, but they've never molted. I started researching and thought they might be giant cave roaches, so I put them in a more natural setting with some soil and vertical sticks. Still, nothing. Then, after more researching, I read they like it cooler than other species, so, about a week ago I removed their heating pad and put them in a spot were it's about 80 degrees all the time. I feed them roach chow and veggies, and try not to disturb them very much. Any suggestions? Am I just impatient? Here are some photos of my set up and the roaches.

This is an old picture, I've switched them to roach chow instead of dog food.

c261ba51-78d3-4fef-aee1-719100580aed_zpsec473939.jpg

012_zpsa42b90c3.jpg

008_zpsc9aa2dbd.jpg

009_zps35130ecc.jpg

011_zps7f7885c4.jpg

Aren't Roaches grand??

Sorry, I have NO idea what you have there (but someone will!)

I have Peppered Roach nymphs that are taking forever to become adults - the book says 9 months - but I'm sure that can vary by temperature, moisture and feeding!

Good luck with your babies!

Some Blaberus, I'd say, maybe craniifer or fusca. The two that you've posted look like subadults, so they may spend more time in that stage than the others as they work on their wings. 80 degrees should be fine!

If its craniifer or fusca they need rotting leaves and bark in their diet, I give mine Oak leaves. And they need a lot of protein, they crave it more than most roach species for some reason. I would crush up the dog kibble and mist it with water so its easier to eat. You could also cook beef (plain) and they will eat the meat at night, just remove uneaten pieces the next day. They love bananas and apples and white bread.

They prefer to burrow under the substrate during the day and only come out to eat at night. As adults they don't burrow but rest on wide pieces of wood or bark

Is it Ok to gather leaves from outside if I bake them in the oven to kill anything? I did that for some of my bearded dragon's decor. How do I avoid mold if I need rotting leaves and bark? Can I feed them cooked chicken? It's all I have right now.

Thanks for the help guys.

I wouldn't cook the dirt or rotting leaves from outside. It might be the little organisms growing on the rotting leaves or wood that are good for the roaches. I am not sure on how to keep mold from growing. The oak leaves do not seem to grow mold but the wood does. If food is left in their cage for a day or more it will start to mold, or that is if it is moist.

I have six Blaberus giganteus (they were a surprise in with an orange head colony) and with mine I've only rarely seen evidence of their moulting. Mine eat their exuviae. I have them stashed on a dark shelf next to my dsl modem and wireless router... lol

Is it Ok to gather leaves from outside if I bake them in the oven to kill anything? I did that for some of my bearded dragon's decor. How do I avoid mold if I need rotting leaves and bark? Can I feed them cooked chicken? It's all I have right now.

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't bake them because I think the important stuff is on the leaves and dirt. But yes make sure no pesticides are used in the area, I go in a wooded area not near anyone's house. The leaves and bark usually dry out the next day, I mist them lightly with water, after a week its usually time for new leaves. Cooked chicken is good too, try to give dark meat. Just make sure no spices like pepper are on it the plainer the better, you can rinse it under water for a few seconds to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...