What am I doing wrong?

I've had my roaches for a couple months now, and they still don't seem that much bigger. I don't see them eat, and they aren't very active. Is the substrate wrong? I line the bottom with toilet paper. And I feed them flukers. But they don't seem to be molting. And I never seem them jump for joy when I put food in the cage. I've tried cereal, and today I'm trying noodles. They don't seem excited for any food I give them and they aren't getting bigger.

What is the temperature? I kept hissers at room temp, and their siblings in the 80's. When the nymphs that were 3 months younger caught up to their siblings, I decided everyone better be kept at the warmer temp.

You should give them fruits and veggies once in a while. They should also have a high protein food in their diet like dry cat food for example. Do they have water available at all times? I have never heard someone use toilet paper as a substrate. Usually it's a bare bottom enclosure for most feeder roaches or eco earth for pet roaches. What species of roach are you having problems with?

I use the toilet paper TUBES (not paper) sitting on coir. They hide in the tubes. I would not use toilet paper as a substrate. Temperature is probably your big variable. Crank it up to 85 F and feed them a varied diet (dry dog food, fruits and veg) like others above have said. Good luck! :)

Hissers are sooooo easy to breed. I seldom feed fruit to my hissers, no substrate, and never spray; they breed like weed. Constant water source and high temperature are the tricks.

Since you didn't provide critical info like the roach species, temperature, water source and food type, it would be hard to say what happened.

Hissers are sooooo easy to breed. I seldom feed fruit to my hissers, no substrate, and never spray; they breed like weed. Constant water source and high temperature are the tricks.

Since you didn't provide critical info like the roach species, temperature, water source and food type, it would be hard to say what happened.

Have you had any problems with overcrowding? I would keep my hissers unseparated but I'm scared that the enclosure would get too overcrowded.

Hi everyone, sorry for the late response. Well, I have a couple hissers, a domino, a lobster, an australian, and a harlequin. Had a glowspot, but he escaped somehow. And I'm not really sure about the temp, I'd say it's just normal room temperature. No heating lamps or anything. I only use toilet paper as substrate because I didn't wanna put something like dirt becuase then they'd be invisible 24/7 because they hide a lot, and I want to be able to see them. But I could change the substrate. What should the substrate be?

And yes, water dish is always available for them in the middle. They can drink when they see fit.

Have you had any problems with overcrowding? I would keep my hissers unseparated but I'm scared that the enclosure would get too overcrowded.

I'm trying to not keep them overcrowded; just moved my hissers to a huge tub with tons of egg cartons.

Hi everyone, sorry for the late response. Well, I have a couple hissers, a domino, a lobster, an australian, and a harlequin. Had a glowspot, but he escaped somehow. And I'm not really sure about the temp, I'd say it's just normal room temperature. No heating lamps or anything. I only use toilet paper as substrate because I didn't wanna put something like dirt becuase then they'd be invisible 24/7 because they hide a lot, and I want to be able to see them. But I could change the substrate. What should the substrate be?

And yes, water dish is always available for them in the middle. They can drink when they see fit.

Hissers and lobsters can breed well even without any substrate, but domino and glowspot are living substrates. It is just the way they are, not some animals you can see and pet at any time you want. Domino and glowspot do need a good amount of substrate and leaf litter; I use eco earth for all of my roaches. I don't have Australian and harlequin but I've heard they love heat and humidity. Doing research for the animals before you buy is always helpful.

And don't expect much fun from a single roach; many of them don't live very long after they've reached adulthood. I'd suggest first learn to handle and breed your hissers, then get more roach colonies if you've gained interest.