Panchlora nivea

happy1892

beautiful species. how long have you had them?

Less than a month.

Do Panchlora nivea behave like Gyna lurida any?

No, probably not. If G. lurida are like G. caffrarum. The G. caffrarum are twitchy at least as nymphs. I do not know about adults. Somebody else could probably say if they act similar. I saw a picture of an adult Gyna caffrarum (?) on the damaged parts (by elephant ramming tusks) of a boabab tree in a picture book of insects.

Looks like they are doing well. Hope u get some babies soon :)

Thanks! I was not sure if they were well. Because they are not very responsive to me touching them though they do burst out in fast running often and they fly.

They usually do not respond to light touches that Shelfordella lateralis always respond to. As in the first photo above I posted I lifted the piece of bark slowly so the adults would only move a little and not burst out in running or flying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just noticed some Panchlora nivea nymphs. They are much smaller than I expected. I had air holes too large so probably some of the 1st instar nymphs have escaped out of their container though there are many in the container still.

I'm jealous. I got 50 P. Nivea a while back, various stages from tiny nymphs to a couple adults, and have been wanting to take some photos, but mine are the most antisocial bugs ever. I have two lovely cork bark pieces in their enclouser but they much prefer burrowing down in the soil and have yet to use the cork at all for roosting. During the daylight hours it often feels like my twenty gallon tank is really just a breeding tank for springtails and A. diaperinus. I was begining to think I was doing something epicly wrong and my breeding attempts were going to be a flop, but a couple nights ago I finally spotted a bunch of new nymphs scurrying around, so hopefully all is not lost. I will continue to leave my peace offerings of fresh fruits/veggies at dusk each night in hopes that one day they will offer to model for some photos. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

mine never have flown or even climb glass. Which I am not complaining about but I want to see one fly.

Have you sneaked a peak at them during the night around 2am-5am. That is when my adults get super active. I've caught males fluttering from one side of my tank to the other during that prime roaming time. That is also when they will climb the glass some testing the limits of their enclousure.

I have watched them at all hours of the day... Some nights when I cant fall asleep I just watch my roaches with a LOW light flashlight and just watch them or I mess with my dragon when he sleeps lol

Mine don't exist during the day, but I love to sneak peaks at them at night. I put a blanket over their tank at night since they are in my room. I'm always worried I will disturb them too much since I am such a night owl. Tonight when I peaked in, I spotted one of my adult females who had made a little cavern/burrow in the substrate against the edge of the tank. She was surrounded by a bunch of fresh looking nymphs. It was so adorable.