Parcoblatta Unknown fulvescens Like caudelli

Hisserdude

I miss my roaches....

Yeah, they are pretty great. You should get back in the hobby, there are a LOT of new species!

Wait, what? Elaborate.

That's just the name I or Alan (User: Cariblatta) gave it. Alan thinks it is not a P. fulvescens (me too) and they are definitely not true P. caudelli. Alan pointed out that this was an interesting roach. At first he thought that they might be P. caudelli from the median segment and first abdominal segment modified structures (two pairs of dots on those two segments), but then he found some true P. caudelli, and a friend of his caught a mated adult female true P. caudelli form Torreya, FL, so now he has those breeding, too. These "possible caudelli" have been misidentified as P. fulvescens (adult females) and P. caudelli (adult males) here in NC and other areas in the US in the past I think. P. fulvescens from my area tend to be larger as adult females (just two or three adult females I have seen, while seeing plenty of adult females of possible caudelli), and supranal plate for adult females of P. fulvescens is longer I think, (I looked at an adult female, and Alan looked at his, not sure how many). Their cerci might be different colour usually (not sure if this would be a reliable way to tell them apart), P. fulvescens adult females having black cerci while all the "possible caudelli" adult females I remember seeing from my area had a lighter, brownish cerci. There might be exceptions though... Alan Jeon probably already knows how to distinguish them, he might write some distinguishing features between those two roaches here.

That's just the name I or Alan (User: Cariblatta) gave it. Alan thinks it is not a P. fulvescens (me too) and they are definitely not true P. caudelli. Alan pointed out that this was an interesting roach. At first he thought that they might be P. caudelli from the median segment and first abdominal segment modified structures (two pairs of dots on those two segments), but then he found some true P. caudelli, and a friend of his caught a mated adult female true P. caudelli form Torreya, FL, so now he has those breeding, too. These "possible caudelli" have been misidentified as P. fulvescens (adult females) and P. caudelli (adult males) here in NC and other areas in the US in the past I think. P. fulvescens from my area tend to be larger as adult females (just two or three adult females I have seen, while seeing plenty of adult females of possible caudelli), and supranal plate for adult females of P. fulvescens is longer I think, (I looked at an adult female, and Alan looked at his, not sure how many). Their cerci might be different colour usually (not sure if this would be a reliable way to tell them apart), P. fulvescens adult females having black cerci while all the "possible caudelli" adult females I remember seeing from my area had a lighter, brownish cerci. There might be exceptions though... Alan Jeon probably already knows how to distinguish them, he might write some distinguishing features between those two roaches here.

Wow, very interesting, thank you for explaining! So these are probably a new species?

You're welcome. Yes, probably new species.

Cool! I hope it gets described soon!

For now they are Parcoblatta "gooey butt". That pic for sure demonstrates the sticky substance produced from the abdomen.

Haha, ok then, Parcoblatta "gooey butt" it is! :lol: Though to be fair, all Parcoblatta have gooey butts.

• 1 month later...

Well, here's some pretty sucky news. One of my nymphs matured into a beautiful, seemingly healthy adult female. Today I checked on her and she was dead. :( All my other nymphs are males, so yeah, no babies are coming from these guys.

Thanks guys, I think this is the first species I have failed at successfully breeding. Oh well, hopefully I can get more this summer.

I do hope these get described this year, would be cool to have a new Parcoblatta species! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, even though I can't breed this species, I have still enjoyed having them, if only because the male that just matured is beautiful! He has such lovely cream coloured borders on his pronotum and elytra.

P.unknown%25231.JPG

P.unknown%25232.JPG

P.unknown%25233.JPG

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to breed this species :(

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to obtain some more individuals one day. All my other Parcoblatta are doing swell though. :)