Using Ceramic Heat Emitters to Heat Roach Colonies

I've had struggles in the past with sufficiently heating my roach colonies to optimum temperatures. I'm actually starting to get worried that the low temperatures are preventing some of my species from breeding. The temperature in my house hovers at around 68 degrees year round.

. Heat pads raise the temperature 3-4 degrees.Not sufficient!

. Heat lamps (the kind made for reptiles) raise the temperature to about 80 degrees. Not sufficient!

. Heat tape melted a hole in the bottom of one of my enclosures. Dangerous!

.Space heaters are dangerous!

What do you guys think about ceramic heat emitters. These screw into bulbs like a light bulb, but the only give off heat. I got a few off E-bay, and I'm wondering if these could raise the temperatures of my enclosures to 85 degrees plus. What do you guys use to heat your enclosures/ rearing room.

Thanks!

I used one for my scorpion enclosure. Overall it did the job. You'll find these raise the temperature by about 10 degrees hotter than what the temperature is in the house. Pretty much the same as a heat pad. I think my house hovered around 70F and the lamp brought it up to 80-85.

I don't know what you use for enclosures. I had a 20 gallon with a metal top, so melting wasn't a problem. But It would melt plastic quickly I'm sure.

Personally I use an oil filled radiator style space heater with a thermostat. I set it to 80F at all times, temps in the roach bins tend to be around 80-82F.

If space heaters don't work for you, perhaps look into flexwatt heat tape. I've heard they don't melt plastic bins like many of the heat mats out there.

I've been using a Zoo Med heat cable, which has worked well for my roaches. My R.formosana were not reproducing in the winter, the room was just a little too cold for them. I added the heat cable, and in a few weeks there were a TON of babies! (Seriously, I don't even know what to do with all of them, I need more carnivorous pets!!!!). The cable keeps the cages warm but not too warm, and does not melt the plastic containers.

I've been using a Zoo Med heat cable, which has worked well for my roaches. My R.formosana were not reproducing in the winter, the room was just a little too cold for them. I added the heat cable, and in a few weeks there were a TON of babies! (Seriously, I don't even know what to do with all of them, I need more carnivorous pets!!!!). The cable keeps the cages warm but not too warm, and does not melt the plastic containers.

Do you use the 15 watt kind like is being sold here?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29921530?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228020344058&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=62503344656&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=109733351576&veh=sem

How do you apply the cable? Do you just rap it around the bins? I'll see if the roads are clear enough tomorrow to drive down to Petco. There was a massive snowstorm here and all my classes were cancelled.

I use a 25 watt, cord that is 14 3/4 ft long. I put it under my enclosures, It will heat up the cages even if there is substrate. Don't know about cages with really deep substrate though. I always put it under half the cage, leaving a cool half so the roaches can choose to regulate their temperatures.

• 2 weeks later...

I use non-luminous ceramic heat emitters (in addition to under tank heaters). Be careful though... Depending on the wattage of the bulb(s) you got, they can emit a lot of heat - Easily enough to melt plastic.

Using under tank heaters and ceramic heat emitters, I keep my enclosures between 85-90 degrees.

my roach room is around 68f also and i put a large heat pad on high under each tote and all my species have reproduced. air temp in the tote is low 70's but the substrate temp is 105f. it seems to work for them! paid $15 for them at rite aid in the back and knee supports section. cheapest heat mats I've found and you can change the heat setting on them as summer comes.

mine don't have that feature. they are made by sunbeam. they have a high/ low and off positions. got them at walmart for 14.99 ea. mine are only a few months old.