Sterilizing leaves

Hi Everyone,

I recently colleced some dead oak leaves and I wanted to know how long I have to microwave them to kill any pests or fungus?

Thanks!

I do it for three minutes, check on it, then pop it back in for two more minutes. Keep in mind the leaves should be moist to lower the risk of a fire. :)

I do it for three minutes, check on it, then pop it back in for two more minutes. Keep in mind the leaves should be moist to lower the risk of a fire. :)

Thanks! :)

How does everyone sterilize their bark? I have a piece that I collected and wanted to know how to sterilize it before I put it in any tank.

How does everyone sterilize their bark? I have a piece that I collected and wanted to know how to sterilize it before I put it in any tank.

I sterilize it the same way I sterilize my leaves.

For the same amount of time?

I do it for about the same time, just be really careful, I once turned bark into charcoal in the microwave... :blink:

• 1 month later...

Would it be the same amount of time, for moist, soft, decaying wood?

Yup, it's the same for anything, you really want to make sure all the pests are dead. :)

Thanks for the info! :) Now my A.vulgare have a very nice substrate with plenty of sterilized decaying wood, and dead leaves mixed in the coconut fiber, with some more dead leaves and decaying wood on the surface of the substrate for good measure. Hope they breed for me!

I throw everything in a black garbage back and place it in the summer sun for a month. I have never had an issue. I just plan ahead a little bit. Boiling, cooking or microwaving leaves and wood is something that I hate. I have 10-20 bags in the backyard always "cooking". I also do this with soil substrate that has been "infected" with other living arthropods that I do not want in my enclosures. I hope this helps.

I throw everything in a black garbage back and place it in the summer sun for a month. I have never had an issue. I just plan ahead a little bit. Boiling, cooking or microwaving leaves and wood is something that I hate. I have 10-20 bags in the backyard always "cooking". I also do this with soil substrate that has been "infected" with other living arthropods that I do not want in my enclosures. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, might try that one of these times!