Pet recommendations

Can you guys recommend me the best and cheapest roaches to keep as pets? I currenly have hissers/dubia and wanted to expand my collection also I prefer enviorements without substrate because glass tanks tend to get heavy to move around.

Parcoblatta sp. roaches are easy to keep, cheap, and often kept in the roach hobby.

Many people just use sterilite plastic containers to house their roaches. They are cheap and just as good for keeping roaches as glass tanks.

Yes, Parcoblatta are getting more common in the hobby and are very easy to keep. However, they aren't that great for handling. Try Blaberus or Hemiblabera, I own both and they are great pet species, both get pretty big, and are very good for handling.

Yes, Parcoblatta are getting more common in the hobby and are very easy to keep. However, they aren't that great for handling. Try Blaberus or Hemiblabera, I own both and they are great pet species, both get pretty big, and are very good for handling.

Can you show me pictures of those you mentioned? :)

Sure, here are some photo threads I started of those species. :)

http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5991

http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6048

There are several Blaberus species in the hobby, the B.atropos are just your basic Blaberus, light brown with a black, rounded square on the pronotum.

Well I actually have some of the Hemiblabera tenebricosa for sale, and you can get the Blaberus atropos at Roachcrossing.com.

Wouldn't he have to have substrate for the Hemiblabaera tenebricosa? I read on Roachcrossing.com that they like to stayed buried most of the day.

Substrate is fine as long as I can keep them in a small glass tank (10-20 gallon) my hissers breed like crazy and now I have too many that's why I no longer keep them in a glass tank with substrate still I prefer a dry envioment with egg crates/card board/newspaper/empty paper rolls.

Substrate is fine as long as I can keep them in a small glass tank (10-20 gallon) my hissers breed like crazy and now I have too many that's why I no longer keep them in a glass tank with substrate still I prefer a dry envioment with egg crates/card board/newspaper/empty paper rolls.

Ok, sounds like you'll be fine then! Good luck with keeping whatever roaches you end up choosing! :)

Yeah they like a substrate, they spend a lot of time underground. A glass tank for them would be fine, seeing as they can't climb. :)