Depopulating springtails

So the springtail population in my hisser tanks have grown prolifically. At this point the tanks are overrun with them and all of the glass is covered with springtails. It's a real eyesore.

Do you guys have any methods for euthanizing or rounding up excess springtails? Would introducing isopod cultures in the future compete with them and balance out the population?

I agree drying things out will help and hissers can handle extreamly dry conditions. Also in the mean time try takeing 2 small deli cups and bury them so the top is flush with the substrate and place some apple or banana inside. The springtails will flock to it (at night) then pull out the springtail covered food and throw it out. You could prolly just put the food on the substrate and throw it out when its covered either way you will be thinning them out. Also try foods that are easy for your hissers but not springtails asparagus celery brocoli harder plants springtails like mushy stuff. Also keep dry food in a taller smooth container hissers can climb but springtails cant. They will still eat dead leaves and substrate and frass but thier numbers will be more manageable if they arnt eating your hissers food.

Thanks for the advice lovebugfarm! I will try all those things

Hisserdude@ They're a small silver species I collected from the central california coast, they seem to be able to tolerate very dry conditions. I've left them in an empty enclosure for months without water, and when I opened the container there were still quite a few.

Thanks for the advice lovebugfarm! I will try all those things

Hisserdude@ They're a small silver species I collected from the central california coast, they seem to be able to tolerate very dry conditions. I've left them in an empty enclosure for months without water, and when I opened the container there were still quite a few.

Yeah, they sound like the standard silver springtails. Those are what I have, I'm getting some of the tropical pinks too this week from Kyle hopefully. If they don't out compete my mites then I don't know what will.