Vertical Roach. Why ?!

Got any pictures? What exactly do you mean by vertical, is it on a hide and resting vertically, or when it is crawling is it facing downwards?

i have this roach that seems to like being vertical - with it's head down. i find it curious and have never witnessed such a thing. is there a reason for this ?

My B. Orientalis nymphs rest in every possible angle and position. Some of them like hanging upside down from a horizontal surface.

But I've often seen them in the head down position, often before and during a molt.

Is your roach an adult?

Got any pictures? What exactly do you mean by vertical, is it on a hide and resting vertically, or when it is crawling is it facing downwards?

1> a) i do, but it's probably not a favoured-situational photo.

b ) it's natural position (i speculate) would be horizontal, as it's legs are all on one side and it's often seen parallel to the ground. so, vertical, as in 90 degrees from the ground, with it's head down and butt up; and not with it's L/R sides towards the sky and ground. it's also attached to a wall and not doing a hip-hop head stand.

c) it's not a "moving" thing. it's a "this is how i wanna stay for hours" thing @_@

d) thanks for the response.

My B. Orientalis nymphs rest in every possible angle and position. Some of them like hanging upside down from a horizontal surface.

But I've often seen them in the head down position, often before and during a molt.

Is your roach an adult?

2> a) i believe it's an adult.

b ) it's definitely preferring the head down position; hanging isn't much of it's thing.

c) hmmm... maybe, but i've never seen a roach molt.

d) doesn't look like "B. Orientalis".

e) thanks for the response.

3> this is more "science" to me than "pet".

4> i'm still trying to figure out it's gender >.>

Huh, sounds weird. It's probably nothing detrimental to the roach's health, though I still would like to see pics. :)

oh, well, sure, there's that complicated way, thanks. ...but there's a "My Media" section and storage space, but uploading doesn't seem to exist - i wanna do that. (i should probably write this in the linked thread @_@)

Yeah, I don't think that feature is actually implemented in this forum, like the "Like This" button that you see on people's posts that doesn't do anything. Unfortunately, the complicated way seems to be the only way.

Oh, yeah, you can just give us a photobucket link to see your photos. Still, if you're gonna do that, might as well just put them on here, it's not much more work.

Yeah, I don't think that feature is actually implemented in this forum, like the "Like This" button that you see on people's posts that doesn't do anything. Unfortunately, the complicated way seems to be the only way.

ugh...hate... massive hate...

..okay, then. i'll figure something out with the services i'm using... (not about to start another one that does the same damn thing... >.<)

um... yes, please. i would love to have an army of albino EVERYTHING !! ...but i'm not ready to have any insects touch me, so, i'll need a forcefield of some kind >.>

After reviewing some recent time lapse sequences I noticed the downward-facing behavior occurs, but is not frequent.

It might be an individual choice; except for size I can't tell them apart. Behavior between them varies...some are extremely sensitive to the slightest vibration and run all over the place, while others don't budge when I rattle their cage. Wonderful little critters to study...

Sorry op just testing. I didn't know how to do it. I'll delete my posts, my bad. I sometimes drink and post as well. I'm working on my relevance :)

grrrr...

After reviewing some recent time lapse sequences I noticed the downward-facing behavior occurs, but is not frequent.

mmm.. okay. so, it's remotely normal, i suppose... still curious as to why (seeing how it's not full-normal).

mmm.. okay. so, it's remotely normal, i suppose... still curious as to why (seeing how it's not full-normal).

Normal? Hmmm....

As a novice myself, I suspect this behavior is more common with climbing/non-burrowing roaches. Unless you observe them 24/7 it can be difficult to determine what is normal and what is not. I was fooled the other day when I noticed this one roach was spending a lot of time (4+ hours) sitting in that vertical position and then discovered it was just the shell of a recent molt. A few hours later it disappeared, having been eaten.

Or maybe it's a yoga type thing, letting the juices flow into their little brains. The behavior of roaches does not seem to be bound by convention.

Normal? Hmmm....

As a novice myself, I suspect this behavior is more common with climbing/non-burrowing roaches. Unless you observe them 24/7 it can be difficult to determine what is normal and what is not. I was fooled the other day when I noticed this one roach was spending a lot of time (4+ hours) sitting in that vertical position and then discovered it was just the shell of a recent molt. A few hours later it disappeared, having been eaten.

Or maybe it's a yoga type thing, letting the juices flow into their little brains. The behavior of roaches does not seem to be bound by convention.

hahaha.... well... a shell doesn't count. lol.

and yea, i had the same thought... it did this one position where it was horizontal, but it's butt was up, and i was like "it's doing the Downward Roach".

If you're referring to roaches simply facing downward, it's completely normal. I have climbing and non climbing species that face downward all the time. Nothing to worry about.

no, i'm not worried. unless you count "asking a question" to be worrying.... then, yes, i worry.... a lot... (lol)

Do you have just the one roach? That's no fun...you need at least a dozen and then it gets wacky observing their collective behavior.

If you have a German and it's a pregnant female you'll have hundreds before you know it. Be very cautious with the Germans; they can get out of hand. I'm talking about the cockroaches, not the people...