Pycnoscelus sp. "Thailand"

Very nice. I love the black juvenile, or is it a female? I have P. striata, they are deceptively fast for such a robustly built roach.

All the best from Bill. :D

Very nice. I love the black juvenile, or is it a female? I have P. striata, they are deceptively fast for such a robustly built roach.

All the best from Bill. :D

Yeah it's a nymph, and I'm pretty sure these are all females, like P.surinamensis. Don't know that for sure though. Cool, P.striata are on my wish list, love their coloration!

Could they be a variety of P. surinamensis?

Apparently not, they are very variable in color. They could be P.conferta, but no one has the description to that species.

Are these new to the hobby?

To the US hobby, yes they are pretty new. :) Got these from Alan.

Wow, those guys are built like tanks! I love the reflective black iridescence.

Yeah, the nymphs are quite bulky! Can't tell if it was the roach or the camera that made that iridescence show up, I hope it's the roach!

Finally! Been waiting on updates on the roaches I sent you! Looks like they are doing well :)

Haha yeah, took a while for me to compile all the photos and put them in a blog post, then I posted them over here. They are all doing swell, and a few of the Parcoblatta have been maturing! :D

• 1 month later...

The adult previously pictured looks almost identical to Pycnoscelus surinamensis, however here is what many of the other adults look like:

PycnThai%25231.JPG

PycnThai%25233.JPG

PycnThai%25234.JPG

Now this adult looks like a short winged Pycnoscelus nigra, however it is more of a dark grey color than jet black, and the legs are not as vibrant an orange color as they are on P.nigra. This is a very interesting and variable Pycnoscelus species, and I am really glad I have some in my collection! :)

Soon you'll end up with hundreds of babies. LOL

In case you haven't noticed, these guys have more yellow coloration on the pronotum than P. nigra ;)

I have no doubt about that lol, it seems some of them have already given birth! :)

Yes I did notice, thanks for mentioning that!

Wow, that was fast! Congratulations on getting babies :)

Thanks man, it's been really hot here which has been good for my roaches, most of my Parcoblatta ootheca have have been hatching like mad, and all my Pycnoscelus seem to be breeding fairly prolifically! :) (Except my P.nigra, I haven't seen any babies in their enclosure yet).