Advantages of Coco Fiber ?

Well it's pretty much all in the question.

Could you guys give me your experience / advice on the pros and cons / recommandations to put a layer of coco fiber at the bottom of your enclosure ?

Many thanks :)

Coconut fiber is the substrate I use for most of my roaches, and many species that burrow need a substrate or else they stress out. Coconut fiber holds moisture and will make the enclosure feel more naturalistic, and is a great substrate material. I would highly recommend you use it in your roaches' cages.

Will do then (i bought it before asking that question and was hopping people recommend it :) )

How about when you clean the cage ? Isn't the poop mixed with it ? do you remove the coco fiber then and put new one ?

Will do then (i bought it before asking that question and was hopping people recommend it :) )

How about when you clean the cage ? Isn't the poop mixed with it ? do you remove the coco fiber then and put new one ?

I don't personally, and I don't think Hisserdude does either. We have so many roach cages that I think it would be impossible to keep up! The frass mixes with the coconut fiber and exuvia that are breaking down to create a nice compost soil. Pulling soil out of a large, long used roach cage provides an excellent fertilizer! The substrate is also incredibly healthy for the roaches! Roach frass isn't much of a disease spreader. It just turns into nice soil. ;)

I don't personally, and I don't think Hisserdude does either. We have so many roach cages that I think it would be impossible to keep up! The frass mixes with the coconut fiber and exuvia that are breaking down to create a nice compost soil. Pulling soil out of a large, long used roach cage provides an excellent fertilizer! The substrate is also incredibly healthy for the roaches! Roach frass isn't much of a disease spreader. It just turns into nice soil. ;)

Yup, I don't bother with removing frass, no point really. If you are really put off by it then you could employ some isopods as a cleanup crew, I'm relatively sure they eat roach frass.

My wife was sifting through the pantanal substrate picking out nymphs for our bearded dragon. She said, " I love how this coco fiber feels." I said , yeah that's the roach poop that makes it soft...... Now she lets me dig them out lol

• 2 weeks later...

Coconut fiber is the substrate I use for most of my roaches, and many species that burrow need a substrate or else they stress out. Coconut fiber holds moisture and will make the enclosure feel more naturalistic, and is a great substrate material. I would highly recommend you use it in your roaches' cages.

Im trying out bark at the moment. Havent added any roaches in yet but the bark substrate holds moisture well but the frass will sift itself to the bottom and also when it dries, mites will die out. I hate having mites and they always seem to show up in my cocoa fiber. I do; however, use the fiber in all my T and Blaberus enclosures. Anybody have experience with the bark?