Jump to content

Overcrowded


Jesus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey I was wondering are hissers happy in a overcrowded colony? there's so many now I was thinking to move them to a big glass tank but It's risky because if for some reason it breaks all of them would escape also I thought of releasing some outside but they might not survive if someone sees one of them they might end up killed or captured, last time I had to clean the enclosure which was a few weeks ago it made me so tired plus it gets annoying making sure no one escapes it's a difficult task, dubias are way easier to clean cause they can't climb and they can't attach themselves to the egg flats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well they can do ok crowded for awhile but the stress will shorten their lifespan and you will end up cleaning dead roaches more often. 

Glass tanks rarely break unless you try to break them. It can be harder to keep hissers in glass though cause you need a layer of petroleum jelly. Look for bins that say water tight.

Please never release exotic animals out doors all it takes is one person seeing them outside and making a Facebook post then a frenzy starts then theres a story on the evening news about exotic roaches takeing over then they get banned in that state and all the roach loveing people who live in the same state are sad. 

Sounds like your best bet it to sell or give them away. When my hissers got over crowded I would sell them $1 each and they go pretty quick

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lovebugfarm said:

Please never release exotic animals out doors all it takes is one person seeing them outside and making a Facebook post then a frenzy starts then theres a story on the evening news about exotic roaches takeing over then they get banned in that state and all the roach loveing people who live in the same state are sad. 

Exactly, NEVER release non-native species outdoors, if they became naturalized in your area, and government finds out that they were released by an irresponsible member of the exotic pet hobby, then they would very likely place a ban keeping all roaches in that state, and possibly apply bans on keeping exotic roaches throughout the whole US.

Cockroaches are some of the most hated animals here in the US, and some pet species getting lose in the US due to keepers releasing them could finish the hobby. If you don't have room for them then sell them or feed them off, NEVER release them outdoors. If you can't contain your animals and have to rely on releasing them to lower their numbers, then you should never have been keeping them at all. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but it's the truth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Exactly, NEVER release non-native species outdoors, if they became naturalized in your area, and government finds out that they were released by an irresponsible member of the exotic pet hobby, then they would very likely place a ban keeping all roaches in that state, and possibly apply bans on keeping exotic roaches throughout the whole US.

Cockroaches are some of the most hated animals here in the US, and some pet species getting lose in the US due to keepers releasing them could finish the hobby. If you don't have room for them then sell them or feed them off, NEVER release them outdoors. If you can't contain your animals and have to rely on releasing them to lower their numbers, then you should never have been keeping them at all. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but it's the truth.

Does that count dumping substrate outside with Sinella curviseta in it. :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Does that count dumping substrate outside with Sinella curviseta in it. :unsure:

Kinda, however springtails are unlikely to catch the media's attention so no bans are going to result from it. Plus I'm sure they've been introduced into the US at some point or another.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Kinda, however springtails are unlikely to catch the media's attention so no bans are going to result from it. Plus I'm sure they've been introduced into the US at some point or another.

Wooh, got a little worried there but figured they had likely already been introduced as you stated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Wooh, got a little worried there but figured they had likely already been introduced as you stated.

Well I'm not sure if they have been introduced or not, and in the future I'd definitely sterilize your substrate before dumping it outside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hisserdude said:

Well I'm not sure if they have been introduced or not, and in the future I'd definitely sterilize your substrate before dumping it outside.

What do you do to dispose of substrates? Do you literally sterilize it every time? That would be very tough for me to do, my parents give me a hard time whenever I even try to sterilize my leaves!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I just throw substrate out in the garbage, you figure a couple days in the bin will kill most springtails in there due to lack of sufficient moisture, plus they'd never survive the winter here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fun fact the disposale of substrate is one of the main reasons stick bugs are illegal since many are parthenogenetic and the eggs they lay can get thrown out in the substrate. That's how Indian sticks got naturalized in southern california.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Well I just throw substrate out in the garbage, you figure a couple days in the bin will kill most springtails in there due to lack of sufficient moisture, plus they'd never survive the winter here. 

I do that about half the time. I mostly used to dump out the substrate sometimes because I just though of it as recycling, but I suppose I should definitely be more cautious of releasing non-native species.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Springtails won't be an issue (S. curviseta is in IL already). I freeze my substrate either in the freezer or just put it outside for a couple days. Illinois winters can actually be useful then lol. I did know a guy who would dump his substrate in a river and call it good, but I wasn't ever sure about that considering how well insects can play with surface tension. The river in that section was a bit rough so I guess they could have gotten pulled down and drowned or predators could have picked them off, but it never really felt right. Maybe submerge them for a couple days and then you're good. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't released any into the wild they still in the plastic bin but I figured hissers wouldn't survive the low temperatures outside plus where would they get the fruit? I live in a city other than front yards and back yards the rest is mostly concrete they wouldn't survive long due to people spotting them I really never wanted to breed them they were just my pets they bred on their own I can't use them as feeders because they got a hard shell unless I had a huge monitor but I don't those things eat anything and when I said glass tanks break I was talking about an accident like an earthquake/fire or one of my dogs messing around sadly I can't take pictures but if you guys recommend me enclosures with measures I'll try to get them, right now I'm using  a 40gal sterelite bin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well offering them for free on Craigslist in the pet section will be pretty easy. There's always the freezer instead of leaving it to chance for them to freeze outside take out the males and put the rest in a small container in the freezer leave them in for 24 hours. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...