ID help needed

Hey guys,

I am starting this topic for a friend who doesn't have an account on here.

So, my friend keeps hissers and added a few Archimandrita tesselata nymphs and adults from a local insect convention to her collection.

She just messaged me in a panic because one of the supposedly Archimandrita nymphs reached adulthood but looks kind of not archimandrita-ish to her. The roach in question is apparently rather small compared to her other adults, like half the size, but for me it's the giant unshaped blotch on its pronotum that's kinda throwing me off. It also appears to be still very light-colored, so it's kinda hard to tell tbh.

Are we just blind or was there a possible mix-up at the convention? If so, what species could this fellow be?

I'll ask her for more photos once its colors come through properly.

As always, thank you in advance :)

IMG_20180628_233102.jpg

IMG_20180628_232230.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dubia nymphs look a lot like tesselata nymphs. You aren't the only one who's had this mixup happen, I met a lady who'd recently gotten a number of tesselata nymphs (which I can verify the species of, they were mostly huge and I've since had the two I got from her morph into adults) and she had some dubia adults starting to morph out of the group. I suspect dubias are a relatively common contaminant for roach sellers and are hard to weed out.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys :)

First of all thank you for your help back then!

Now, once again I need your help on behalf of my friend, who got another rogue roach species - this time in a box of dubias.

It's a female, with wings and a big blotch on her pronotum.

Thank you in advance (from both the of us) :)

IMG_20181109_200422.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, hundefrau said:

Hey guys :)

First of all thank you for your help back then!

Now, once again I need your help on behalf of my friend, who got another rogue roach species - this time in a box of dubias.

It's a female, with wings and a big blotch on her pronotum.

Thank you in advance (from both the of us) :)

IMG_20181109_200422.jpg

Looks like a Dusky Cave too me!